A newbie question - MF65 Shop Manual omission..

/ A newbie question - MF65 Shop Manual omission.. #1  

bsbrum

Silver Member
Tractor
1959 MF 65
Hey all. I am a super-newbie with tractors. I have a MF65 that I will be picking up in the next week or so.

In preparation I picked up a Massey branded MF65 Gas & Diesel owners manual, and an I&T Shop Manual for the MF65.

One thing that I noticed was absolutely missing from the manual was torque specs. There are only described "tightening" procedures -
"when reassembling, install the pump and pto shaft, then tighten the right hand dowel first so that any required shifting will automatically be made in the left dowel when it is tightened."

It this something in the tractor world where you just use standard SAE torque based on the class of bolt? If not, is this data in another manual? if so, does anyone have a handy reference that I can print and slip into my binder?

I was also going to track down and buy the overhaul guide.

Thanks in advance. Happy Friday!

/ A newbie question - MF65 Shop Manual omission.. #4  
I'd suggest trying to find an original, or a reprint of the original service manual. They even have them on CD pretty reasonable.

Jensales Massey Ferguson 65 Manual - Tractor Manual & Tractor Parts have some decent reprints. I got one, and a parts manual reprint with my 180 when I bought it.

Right now on ebay there is a hardcopy reprint service manual for like $55.00A CD version for $5.99 to $24.99.

I&T's are OK for basic stuff. They leave out a lot. When you see an original manual, you will see the difference. Usually 250+ pages difference..!!

If you need to look up a part number for your 65, go here AGCO Parts Books
Enter as a guest user ( bottom right), then enter your model number, and select manufacturer. When the next page opens, scroll down a ways, and find "65 tractor", and click on that.

On the next page that appears, you will see a table of contents, that lists every component of your tractor. Select which ever you are looking for, and an exploded view of that assembly appears, and to the right, part numbers, and description of said part.

If you want to do some shopping for parts online, if ever needed... Copy and paste the part number to a good search engine, such a Google. I've had my best returns there.

Hope this helps, good luck, and welcome to TBN..!!

/ A newbie question - MF65 Shop Manual omission..
DJ54 - Wow, thank you. That is a ton of great advice.

I did buy a original parts manual from eBay, but the shop manual is next on my list now.

The online parts tip is great. Thank you!

/ A newbie question - MF65 Shop Manual omission.. #6  
You're welcome Brian, that's what we're all here for... :thumbsup: