New to me massey 1020 4wd

/ New to me massey 1020 4wd #1  

Towman

Tractor
1950 ford 8n
Just purchased a 1992 Massey ferguson 1020 gear drive 4wd with 1014 loader seems to be a very stout little tractor . Any pros cons to share on this tractor any info is appreciated

/ New to me massey 1020 4wd #2  
I think they are stout tractors. I have a 1010, which is of course not nearly as much tractor, but I really like mine. I do know one guy with a 1020 that broke the front axle, but I think it was through not paying attention.

The diesel engine is Toyosha, and the tractor itself was likely made for MF by Hinomoto as my 1010 was.

On the 1010, I've noted the following which I will pass along to you in case the 1020 is similar:

Many parts are still available, some are not.

I broke the round gearshift bushing (the ball around the gearshift lever inside the trans) by shifting too hard. Took me a while to find a replacement, which turned out to be plastic. Lesson learned.

The glowplugs on the 1010 don't do any heating at all for the first 10 seconds. Hit them for 20 and it'll fire right up.

Radiator fins can easily get clogged with chaff if you're mowing. Keep it clean.

I installed an $8.00 Radio Shack relay on the firewall after I discovered the starting circuit with the ignition and clutch safety switch was losing voltage along the way. Now the wire coming from the safety switch trips the relay instead of trying to start the tractor, and the relay switches current directly from the battery connection on the starter to the starter itself. No more cranking issues.

You can probably get all the filters you need from NAPA as I did. For some reason, they have a cross reference for the 1010.

You may want to get an I&T service manual for it. They are pretty cheap and give you enough information to see how things work.

Enjoy your 1020!

/ New to me massey 1020 4wd #3  
Great tractor, I had the Himomoto e1804 which is almost the same as your MF1020, slight differences, I had the MF parts manual for it. Most heavy built tractor for its size that I owned.

Im guessing that Massey doesnt support the tractor much parts wise anymore. I remember the parts that were still available were very expensive.

/ New to me massey 1020 4wd #4  
congrats on the new to you tractor

/ New to me massey 1020 4wd
Well I haven't had much time to play with the tractor yet I've purchased all filters for it and I'm fixing to do a full service on it . The tractor hasn't been used a whole lot and has been maintained well but it has never been kept inside the paint is weathered and peeling off hood I've ordered all new decals for tractor and loader fixing to put it in the body shop for a face lift... I've found a few things I'm gonna redo that I wasn't counting on when I bought it one is most of the hydro hoses on loader are original I think I'll replace them all also it has 9.5 24 tires in the rear and 714 tire up front it came factory with 8.3 in the back and 614 up front according to local Massey dealer the tires on the right side of the tractor have been replaced I beleave and the other tires are cut up badly the I can buy a set of 4 original size tires for the cost of the 2 wider tires so it looks like its gonna get new tires all around but I plan on keeping the tractor for along time and I got a good enough buy on it I can spend what needs to be spent and still be in it at a good price the only thing I wish is that I could of found one with power steering but I'm still happy with what I have

/ New to me massey 1020 4wd #6  
Good Mornin Towman,
Congrats on your new MF 1020 !

I bought a MF 1040 back in the begining of 2004 with 1300 hrs on it and now have about 1600 hrs. No real trouble with it other than routine maintainance. I can stll get all the filters at NAPA, oil , hydraulic, and air etc..

I purchased a new QA and front bucket for it last year. It has been a real work horse for me As others have said thay are very stout tractors, heavy and castings well made. The Toyosho diesel has been great so far...

I did buy new front ags for it a few years back...

Her are a couple of pics of mine.... good luck with your new tractor ! :)

BTW you can get the operators and service manual through SSB Tractors.....

Attachments

• GetAttachment1.jpg
    GetAttachment1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 819
  • 18786driveway.jpg
    18786driveway.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,110
  • Mowin1.jpg
    Mowin1.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
   / New to me massey 1020 4wd #7  
Congratulations. MF builds a dependable tractor. One of my Father's tractors was a MF 135.:tractor:

Well I finally got all service work done (oil changed all filters hyd/Trans fluid) all new tires and tubes rears fluid filled ... Just got it back it's been totally disassembled for paint new decals etc..... This photo is without the loader it's been painted and redecaled waiting on new hoses to be made and hydro cylinders to be resealed ...I've invested alot into this tractor but is like new except the hour gauge showing 500 hours .... I will hopefully have the fel ready next week and I'm gonna repaint all my attachments to match I've got 5 ft bushhog , grader blade, box blade , gravel drag , post hole digger , and dumping platform/sprayer would like to get a tiller and I think I'll have the tool for any job I need ......

Attachments

• image-353912866.jpg
    image-353912866.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 3,716
Got the loader all back together and plumbed today and back on the tractor even got to get out and play in the dirt for a few lol....

Attachments

• image-2630983217.jpg
    image-2630983217.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 2,713