Another Permatran question.

/ Another Permatran question. #1  

liberty2701

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti Dk50se hst
I am getting ready for my 50 hr service and I know there is alot of talk out there about which fluid to use in GC2610 trans. The dealer I purchased from uses kubota UDT in all there Masseys. It seems to work fine. I am looking for input from others out their that used other than Permatran III . I am looking to use Shell Spirax fluid which is a 10w30 like the permatran and according to Shell it exceeds the permatran specs. TSC also has Mystic JT5 which reads to be pretty good. Thanks

/ Another Permatran question. #2  
This question has come up many times, and it still is the same situation. Since all the name brand stuff seems to be about the same price, unless your going to go with some really cheap stuff, I saw a bucket for $25 at Rural King once, how much money are you talking about saving here?

Or, do you have another motivation for not using the Permatran, or even the stuff from the orange guys?

/ Another Permatran question.
Amsoil is $180 for 5 gallons. The shell product is $65 for 5 gallons. I know shell rotella are good products. Just wondering if anyone has actually used it. The money saving in the big picture is small. If Amsoil is definately worth the extra 120 I would use it. If my machine would never know the difference I would usethe Shell product. I am not a fan of overpaying a dealer for a product because of false claims. Like I said Massey says to use only Permatran and the dealeer I dealt with uses kubota UDT. An example of what I am talking about.

/ Another Permatran question. #4  
Amsoil is $180 for 5 gallons. The shell product is $65 for 5 gallons. I know shell rotella are good products. Just wondering if anyone has actually used it. The money saving in the big picture is small. If Amsoil is definately worth the extra 120 I would use it. If my machine would never know the difference I would usethe Shell product. I am not a fan of overpaying a dealer for a product because of false claims. Like I said Massey says to use only Permatran and the dealeer I dealt with uses kubota UDT. An example of what I am talking about.

Amsoil is a whole different ballgame. When you could get it for $100 it was almost a no brainer, because it lasted at least twice as long as the others. Now that it is pushing $200 I would only suggest it, if you really need the potential cold weather benefit, or just don't want to stop every 200 hrs to change the oil. Other benefits are mostly imagined, that is backed up by the fact that they are not claimed by Amsoil. The Amsoil is a luxury you can probably live without if you want to save money.

My book from MF, does NOT say ONLY use Permatran. Most of US here do, because, we know you won't have any trouble if you do.

I have put the Permatran I drained out of my GC, into my fairway mower, and it ran noticeably cooler than it did with the Mobil product they specified, which was no longer made.

I have heard of dealers using the orange fluid before, and the Shell stuff will probably be fine too.

/ Another Permatran question. #5  
Hello
Im not sure of the cost of the orange oil. But I did get a price of 78 dollars on 5 gallons of the agco's replacement for permatran III . In my case I am replacing hydraulic oil in a 231 I just bought . The oil that is specify in the manual is the permatran III oil. I did price a premium hydraulic oil from TSC that is 10-20 wt and meets the permatran spec at half the cost per five gallons.

Not wanting to hijack this post. I am just as curious if I should spring for the real stuff. I am not trying to be cheap but im also not a fan of throwing money away needlessly.

Thanks
Don

/ Another Permatran question. #6  
They usually specify Permatran -OR- SAE 80 GL4.

SAE 80 GL4 is the universal name for hydraulic transmission oil.

People sometimes read this and only see the word Permatran.

/ Another Permatran question. #7  
I am currently running the Amsoil, but I will go back to Permatran, if the price is still this high when the time comes.

I do have one Amsoil dealer that will usually work with me on price, when I waive money at him.

/ Another Permatran question.
My manual says this only" recommended lubricant Permatran III" Nothing else

/ Another Permatran question. #9  
The only thing listed in my manual is permatran III as well. No viscousity or grade is listed.

Don

/ Another Permatran question. #10  
That's just wrong for them to do that kind of crap.

It should be illegal for them to insist on proprietary fluids. Actually, I thought it was illegal.