3-Point Hitch Ferguson TO30 w/ John Deere #412 Plow, overmatched?

/ Ferguson TO30 w/ John Deere #412 Plow, overmatched? #1  

Bob Senti

Tractor
Ferguson TO30
Hello Friends,

I have a Ferguson TO30, and was given a John Deere #412 2 bottom plow. The TO30 will pull it, but the plow seems a shade too big for this tractor. The front coulter will bump into the sway bar chains if its not perfectly centered, and it wants to sway to the extreme right no matter how I adjust the draw bar/land slide/etc.

Is this plow just too big? What is a good 1 or 2 bottom plow match for a TO30? Has anyone else successfully used this combo? I am in West Michigan and the clay here is like glue.

Cheers,

Bob

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 418
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
   / Ferguson TO30 w/ John Deere #412 Plow, overmatched? #2  
Hello Friends,

I have a Ferguson TO30, and was given a John Deere #412 2 bottom plow. The TO30 will pull it, but the plow seems a shade too big for this tractor. The front coulter will bump into the sway bar chains if its not perfectly centered, and it wants to sway to the extreme right no matter how I adjust the draw bar/land slide/etc.

Is this plow just too big? What is a good 1 or 2 bottom plow match for a TO30? Has anyone else successfully used this combo?

Cheers,

Bob

Take the front coulter off...we used to plow at least 40 acres a year without one...also the "points" or shares most likely need to be replaced....the front one has a welded piece (not original) on it and unless its pretty "sharp" will hinder good plowing...JD still sells the shares for that plow (I'm pretty sure...). Most folks thought the JD plows were like sinking a ship's anchor into the ground complared to Dearborns or Oliver plows.. if the ground isn't too much clay you should have no problems once you set it up right, though. BobG in VA

/ Ferguson TO30 w/ John Deere #412 Plow, overmatched?
Thanks for the quick response Bob!

I forgot to mention Im in West Michigan, and alas, its heavy clay!

Im thinking then I probably need to drop down to a one bottom for these conditions and this size tractor?

The picture is bad (share full of clay!) - the shares have no welds. Here is a better close up shot of the share all cleaned up. They both look the same.

Taking the coulter off would definately give me better clearance. I will have to try that, although I wonder about trash gumming up on it (I am trying to plow an old grass pasture).

Cheers,

Bob

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 354
   / Ferguson TO30 w/ John Deere #412 Plow, overmatched? #4  
Hello Friends,

Is this plow just too big? What is a good 1 or 2 bottom plow match for a TO30? Has anyone else successfully used this combo? I am in West Michigan and the clay here is like glue.

Cheers,

Bob

Do you have it adjusted correctly? The way it looks in the picture, it should push to the left as it throws the sod to the right. I'm no farmer so i couldn't begin to tell you how to adjust it.