hydraulic pump? mf 180

/ hydraulic pump? mf 180 #1  

otisd85

hi all i am new to tractors, do not own one yet but i am seriously contemplating a mf 180 with a FEL i found at a local dealer. he said it needs a new pump for the FEL, as it moves very slow and only has 800lbs of pressure.

he is asking 4500 after he replaces the pump, but may take less the way it sits.

if i chose to buy it as is and fix it myself, how hard is it to replace this pump, where is it located, what all is involved, and where might i be able to find one?

i am new to tractors but not new to mechanics, so if its fairly simple and inexpensive, i would rather get it for a lesser price and do the work my self. what do you think? whats the tractor worth needing the pump replaced? or is there other problems to cause the low pressure problems, that he may have overlooked? i plan on getting service and maintenance manuals for whatever tractor i buy, to help with the work.

its a mf 180 diesel with FEL, all guages, multi power, diff lock, dual aux hydro ports, two stage clutch with live pto, good tires, and the heavy cast rear wheels.

Attachments

• DSCN0721.JPG
    DSCN0721.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 1,563
  • DSCN0719.JPG
    DSCN0719.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 4,395
   / hydraulic pump? mf 180 #2  
well worth $4500 with a new pump.

Depending on if it's a front mount pump or rear mount would decide what's involved & cost. I don't think it would be driven off one of the internal pumps, then there would be a lot of labor involved.

It may be worth letting him fix it, you could waste a lot of saved money chasing things if you don't know where to look.

/ hydraulic pump? mf 180 #3  
Depending on which pump they have it plumbed into, may explain why it is so slow. If off the main hyd. pump, which is for the 3 pt. lift, it may be slow, and in fact have a pulse feel to it, as it is a piston pump. You'd probably feel it more at an idle speed. Aftermarket rebuild kits can be found for around $235.00

Aftermarket Aux. hyd. pumps can be found for around $400.00. The Aux. pump provides pressure to shift the Multi-Power, and also pressure to engage the PTO, along with the remote(s).

Either way, the tractor needs to be split, to remove the pumps. They are located in the rear housing. Not a bad job, if you have the proper place, tools, and time to do it. Although, definitely have a good OEM shop manual, or reprint in hand, before starting. The I&T manuals leave a LOT out..!!

The pressure line that feeds the Multi-Power needs to be disconnected, before completely rolling the tractor apart, so as to perform the work... Lots easier to get apart, than getting it lined up, to put back together..., LOL... Maybe I just wasn't holding my mouth right.

Here are a couple of pictures, of when I replaced the Aux. pump in mine. I also had the main pump rebuilt, while I had it apart. The guy where I got the parts used to be a MF dealer, but because they did not invest in a big new fancy facility, they pulled the dealership from them. None the less, he only charged me $25.00 to rebild the pump, since I got the parts from him.

The one picture is of the pumps stacked, as they are in the tractor. Main pump on bottom, Aux, on top.

The other picture, is looking at the IPTO clutch pack, which I had new disc's, and plates put in also, while apart...

The other item is a pdf file, explaing hooking up hydraulics on several MF models, including the 180. Pictures aren't the best, but the print is ok, and hopefully help explain how it is done.

Take into account replacing the hyd. fluid, and flushing the rear housing, etc. If memory serves me right, I'm thinking 8 gallons, but it may be more.

If you let him do it, I'd definitely demand new fluid, and filter.

Might also check, or have them check the PTO clutch pack also, while it is apart.

Hope this helps..!!

Attachments

• DSC01323.JPG
    DSC01323.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 11,686
  • DSC01325.JPG
    DSC01325.JPG
    895.2 KB · Views: 3,729
  • mf130-180aux-hydraulics.pdf
    921.1 KB · Views: 1,574
   / hydraulic pump? mf 180 #4  
With a 2 stage clutch he's not going to have the same PTO set up as the Independant PTO in the picture. It'll be driven off the clutch pressure plate assembly.

With Multi-Power the 2nd pump will be there and that line will need to be taken off for sure. But hopefully it's driven off an external pump, then splitting the tractor won't be needed.

I agree with the I&T manuals, They're good for wedging under a workbench to level it out, thats about it. Spend the money & buy a real shop manual, you'll save it back in time not lost.

/ hydraulic pump? mf 180
okay this is what i was afraid of, i am completely lost. i appreciate the the help but you guys are a bit over my head.
i can take just about anything apart, and most of the time i can get it back together, as long as its mechanical. never really looking at one of these up close, i dont know what to look for.

if i was to go look at the tractor, and follow the hydraulic lines from the loader controls, would i be able to tell if it is run off the main pump, or an auxiliary pump (even if they are both located in the middle of the tractor)?

if i go look at it and take pictures of it, what pics would help you guys help me figure out what is involved in replacing the pump?

when i talked to the dealer on monday i think i remember him saying somthing about spliting the tractor to replace the pump but, but that went over my head as i didnt know what that meant. now i realize how big of project this could potentially turn into, and i think for the money id let him repair it as ive never "split" a tractor. i have the time and space, but no means to sepperate and support it as i roll it apart.

what is ipto vs the live pto and 2 stage clutch, if it does not have ipto can i still have them check the pto clutch pack while its apart?

so i dont know about the pto yet, but what else do i need to have them do or ckeck out while its apart?

so far its

-replace the hydraulic pump.

-replace hydraulic fluids, rear end fluid, and filters.

-replace/check what else while their in there?

thanks for your help so far, otis

/ hydraulic pump? mf 180 #6  
4500 is a good price for that tractor as long as it runs good and other things aren't worn out. I had to rebuild the front "axle" on mine. Not too bad a job, but tedious. Should have had an extra set of hands for that one. Some of these 180's have little hydraulic pumps out the front just below the grille for the loader. If there's not one there, follow your lines from your spool to see if it is plumbed into the scv out the back. That's how my 180 is plumbed. My 165 has the control levers on the right hand side of the seat, but the spool is on the left. Ill have to get to the farm to inspect a little closer, but I think the lines are tapped into the pto selector cover plate. If you don't have somebody around that has taken the hydraulics out of one of these tractors, I would let the dealer do it. I split the 165, pulling everything out, and screwed up the 3point draft controls to where they wouldn't lift at all. I had to have a service truck come out with a three hour drive round trip. My new seal kit for the 3 point ended up costing me a whole lot more.

/ hydraulic pump? mf 180 #7  
I need to correct my self here. I've been looking at prices a little. If everything is in good working order, $4500 seems to be a real good price. How are the tires? The rear tires can get pretty expensive. The front tires are 16" rims, so I use my old pickup tires. My front axle was cracked where it pivots, and there was a lot of play in it. Going up and down the dirt road was way unsafe. You might take it around the block to see how tight the steering is. Average prices for 180's here are between $4000-$7000. Good luck!

/ hydraulic pump? mf 180
thanks for your reply, you lost me with spool and scv, i have people that i could take the tractor to and pay to do the work, or buddys to help with the work but none with the know how to do the job. so im thinking let the dealer do it. the tires look to be near new on back and okay up front. there is 2 pics of it in the first post that were on the dealers website.

/ hydraulic pump? mf 180 #9  
I think your best bet is to let the dealer do it. He knows what it's supposed to act like & how to do it. You'll be better off in the long run. It's still worth $4,500 even a little more if he gets into it and fins something else needing replacing. Seems to be honest enough to let you know the loader wasn't working right & didn't push it out trying to hide it.

Really, it looks in good shape, if it starts & runs good, there will probably be a little play in everything, as long as none is excessive, you should be alright. I really wouldn't argue with $4,500 if he fixes it. Seems very fair. I don't need one & I would give that.

/ hydraulic pump? mf 180
thank you, is there anything else i should try to get him to replace or at least check out while he has it a part, to help avoid problems in the future?

i dont know if it was misleading or if it even matters, but its not at a mf dealer, rather a implement dealer that works on tractors in the area, and sometimes gets tractors on trade.

by implement dealer i mean he mostly sells loaders, buckets, blades, brush hogs, grapples, and tractor accessories, not tractors themselves just when the come in on trade.

Last edited: