First tractor to30

/ First tractor to30 #1  

bigtbassman

Tractor
massey fergusion to30
Just bought a MF to30 with loader and scraper. I'm looking to use it on my 2 acre lot. The only problem I see is the hydraulic ram cylinders leak. Are these cylinders hard to replace seals? There is no muffler, I know I'm going to have to install something to quiet her down. Any suggestions. Thanks, T

/ First tractor to30 #2  
Just bought a MF to30 with loader and scraper. I'm looking to use it on my 2 acre lot. The only problem I see is the hydraulic ram cylinders leak. Are these cylinders hard to replace seals? There is no muffler, I know I'm going to have to install something to quiet her down. Any suggestions. Thanks, T

It's a Ferguson TO-30, designed and built before Massey was in the picture.

In general, loader cylinders are not hard to put seals into. I haven't rebuilt one in 40 years but here's how I remember doing it. You remove the hoses and drain the cylinder on both sides of the piston,remove the cylinder, remove the rod seal, remove the rod and piston from the cylinder, replace the the piston seals, put the rod and piston back into the cylinder replace the rod seal, close up the cylinder and attach it back on the tractor and hook up the hoses. Cycle the hydraulics to bleed the air out of the cylinder.

You should beable to find a muffler and tailpipe for the tractor though with a loader on it, you might have to have a muffler shop build something for you.