MF Customer Service (Long But Worthwhile)

/ MF Customer Service (Long But Worthwhile) #1  

SDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Multiple Fords and Kubotas
I bought a new MF 533 in June of 2007. The tractor has been used only to operate a 6' rotary cutter (bush hog), and has been well maintained by an extraordinarily particular engineer/mechanic owner and never abused.

Last fall, the left lift arm pin broke at the axle trumpet at a time when the tractor had about 245 total hours. The tractor was nearly two years out of warranty on time.

(FWIW, the selling dealer told me before purchase that the tractor was warranted for three years. I was shopping other manufacturers and would have bought a NH had I not been so told.) I was not supplied with a hard copy of the warranty but did not discover this until about 18 months after purchase as I thought that the warranty would be in the owners manual. It is not.

Only after repeated contacts with the selling dealer about 18 months after purchase, was I supplied with a copy of the MF warranty, which is 2000 hours or 24 months.

When the pin broke, I contacted the dealer who had taken over the failed dealership where I purchased the tractor about MF's policy regarding warranty coverage of latent defects when the machine is our of warranty on time but has very low operating hours. I was told to send digital photos of the broken pin to the service manager (to be forwarded to the MF field service rep), which I did.

Eventually, I was told that the MF service rep would need to see the tractor AT A MF DEALER and after the axle trumpet had been removed and the pin removed before they could decide if they would cover the issue under the MF warranty.

Having been a mechanic (well experienced in tractors of similar design) all of my 62+ year life, I could have replaced the pin in less than an 8 hour day for less than $30 in parts.

However, having also been both warranty analysis and failure analysis (as well as design) engineer for GM, I was also certain that the failure was caused by a latent defect in the pin or the fit between the pin and the tapered hole in the axle trumpet. I was also certain that the MF representative would recognize this after the tractor was trucked to the dealer, disassembled and inspected. As a result, I decided to let the dealer address the issue, knowing full well that once the tractor was at the dealer and disassembled the MF rep could deny warranty coverage and I would be responsible for the dealers service/repair chargegs (which I might add were grossly inflated).

Though I made repeated efforts to speak directly with the MF representative, I was unable to do so but was informed (after disassembly of the tractor) that MF had denied warranty coverage of the claim because the pin had broken where "they always broke" (Duh!). I again made unsuccessful efforts to speak with the MF rep as I was certain that I knew much more about the cause of the failure than he did and would be able to convince him that the failure was the result of a design or manufacturing defect.

Bottom line: I was presented with a bill for about $750 to repair a latent defect in a tractor having about 245 hours at the time of the failure that I could have repaired myself for about $30 (and 4-6 hours of my time) if I had simply been told not to waste my time and money trucking the tractor to the dealer for repair.

BTW: I drove the 70+ miles (one way) to the dealer to inspect the damage before the MF rep denied warranty coverage and before the tractor was reassembled. While there, I gave specific instructions that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should the mechanic use ANY TYPE of gasket sealer where MF had specified gaskets and was ASSURED that they would not by the service manager. BTDT.

Upon inspection of the (approximately $750) invoice, I discovered that I was not charged for an axle trumpet gasket. Upon questioning of the service manager, I was informed that the "mechanic" "had decided to use silicon."

The tractor has been back in my shop for about 6 weeks now, has not been started but is now dripping oil from two places, where there were no leaks prior to the repair.

As a result of this unpleasant experience, I will do no further business with AGCO or the dealer that performed the repair. FWIW, I have been purchasing a new tractor about every two years and am currently in the market for one or two new machines.

If interested, email for the name of the dealer.

Dean

/ MF Customer Service (Long But Worthwhile) #2  
Well, though your experience with the dealer is sour, I wouldn't expect anything less from the manufacturer.

Even if you had a 3-year warranty, you would have still been well outside that timeline. I guess I may be the only one who doesn't expexct a manufacturer to "extend" warranty past what is expressed. If they do they should be praised rather than scolded for not doing so.

The service manager should have been up front in telling you they normally cover cost of parts after the warranty expiration anyway. I'm sure at that point you would have just done it yourself anyway.

The dealer's (and mechanic) actions are not satisfactory, I agree. If there should be a gasket, there should be a gasket. It's just too bad in your position, you're probably better changing it yourself as it would be less aggrivation than trying to get them to re-do it.

Just my thoughts.