MF 165 3 point not working

/ MF 165 3 point not working #1  

Farmbrew

Tractor
Allis Chalmers 716h
I'm considering buying a 1969 MF 165 that has a problem with the 3 point hitch. The owner says the loader works which is connected to the same hydraulics that operate the 3pt hitch. He says 3 point hitch does not work at all.

I think the tractor is a decent price at $4,000 for the shape it is in but I want to be sure that this is an issue that I can fix.

I haven't made the 1.5 hr drive to take a look at this tractor yet so i'm not sure if it is operator error.

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? and what kind of effort is required to fix something like this?

I'm mechanically inclined but this will be my first larger tractor so i'm not yet that familiar with the guts of this size tractor.

Thanks for you help,
Brad

/ MF 165 3 point not working #2  
I'm considering buying a 1969 MF 165 that has a problem with the 3 point hitch. The owner says the loader works which is connected to the same hydraulics that operate the 3pt hitch. He says 3 point hitch does not work at all.

I think the tractor is a decent price at $4,000 for the shape it is in but I want to be sure that this is an issue that I can fix.

I haven't made the 1.5 hr drive to take a look at this tractor yet so i'm not sure if it is operator error.

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? and what kind of effort is required to fix something like this?

I'm mechanically inclined but this will be my first larger tractor so i'm not yet that familiar with the guts of this size tractor.

Thanks for you help,
Brad

If it doesn't have a separate pump for the loader or if the hydraulic system is not plumbed for remotes, it's "either or operation" on the hydraulics. Either the loader or the three point but not both. Look for a selector valve under neath the seat with two positions. Switch that around and see if the three point works in one of the positions.

If the tractor has a separate pump and reservior for the loader, then there is something wrong with the three point control system or the tractor's internal hydraulic pump.

/ MF 165 3 point not working
This tractor is at a used tractor dealer. I was told this tractor doesn't have a separate pump for the loader. I guess its possible the guy there doesn't know that there is a selector switch.

Are there any issues that could cause this problem? maybe a busted selector switch? any issues that would be hard to have fixed?

/ MF 165 3 point not working #4  
This tractor is at a used tractor dealer. I was told this tractor doesn't have a separate pump for the loader. I guess its possible the guy there doesn't know that there is a selector switch.

Are there any issues that could cause this problem? maybe a busted selector switch? any issues that would be hard to have fixed?

beisdes a stuck selector valve, a stuck open relief valve, a bad hydrauic pump, clogged hydraulic filter, water frozun at the hydrulic pump inlet, etc etc

/ MF 165 3 point not working
if the loader is working doesn't that mean the hydraulic pump is fine? I'm not sure just askin