GC Series Owner Upgrades And Modifications

/ GC Series Owner Upgrades And Modifications #41  
Wow, Ray, I really like that idea... not too many watts, and saves $4+/gallon diesel fuel!

What did you use to "glue" it on with? I see where it comes with adhesive, but it looks like you added something there...

/ GC Series Owner Upgrades And Modifications
Wow, Ray, I really like that idea... not too many watts, and saves $4+/gallon diesel fuel!

What did you use to "glue" it on with? I see where it comes with adhesive, but it looks like you added something there...

There is silicone sealer around the edge, which is usually included in the kit.

It takes longer figure out where to route the cord than to install it.

These also come in lots of different sizes, for all kinds of applications. You could install a larger one for faster gratification. I decided I would rather go smaller, and be able to leave it turned on.

I have decided to add a 25 watt model to the engine oil pan, I will let everyone know how that worked out.

We used similar units on airplanes for years.

Last edited:
   / GC Series Owner Upgrades And Modifications #43  
Interesting, Ray... does that mean it could warm up my O-320? All the engine heaters I've been perusing so far are mucho --scary-- bucks. If something like Northern's stick-on could work that would save a ton of money!

Walt

Interesting, Ray... does that mean it could warm up my O-320? All the engine heaters I've been perusing so far are mucho --scary-- bucks. If something like Northern's stick-on could work that would save a ton of money!
Walt

Yes. Of course, you get robbed because of the STC.

E-Z HEAT A/C ENGINE PREHEATER from Aircraft Spruce

These are sized to be used for an hour or two, and then you go. Some caution that leaving them running for long periods of time, can "potentially" cook the oil.

The issue with an O-320, is the significant amount of oil that is in the oil cooler would not get warmed. I prefer to preheat with a torpedo heater into a manifold, made from furnace pipe. Then, everything gets warmed.

/ GC Series Owner Upgrades And Modifications #45  
How did the oil pan heater work out? I just ordered one myself...

Sorry, I forgot I promised to get back on that.

Yes, it is installed, and was very easy. Clean the pan, stick it on, calk the edge.

It did not come with silicone to seal the edge with, so you should have some available.

I have not actually used it yet, beyond plugging it in to warm it, for installation.

You will be surprised how fast it gets hot.

/ GC Series Owner Upgrades And Modifications #47  
Hey, Ray, that's good to hear. I haven't gotten around to installing mine yet... still have the MMM to remove, service, and put away!

When you mentioned a "torpedo heater" with stovepipe duct... you mean one like this? I had it for temporary heat in my garage, but now it just sits around --stored-- now that I finally have a more permanent solution to garage heat. I hadn't thought of using it for O-320 heat. It would be great to find a use for it! I suppose it would be safe as long as it was several feet away from the engine? Walt

Mr. Heater.JPG

Hey, Ray, that's good to hear. I haven't gotten around to installing mine yet... still have the MMM to remove, service, and put away!

When you mentioned a "torpedo heater" with stovepipe duct... you mean one like this? I had it for temporary heat in my garage, but now it just sits around --stored-- now that I finally have a more permanent solution to garage heat. I hadn't thought of using it for O-320 heat. It would be great to find a use for it! I suppose it would be safe as long as it was several feet away from the engine? Walt

View attachment 287939

I will send you a PM.

/ GC Series Owner Upgrades And Modifications #49  
Nice Ray66v:)

/ GC Series Owner Upgrades And Modifications #50  
Thanks, Ray, got your PM and printed up your "directions". Also found no filter on the vacuum intake, so I'll be installing one of those, too.

Finally got the MMM off and it's greased, but the blades still need to come off to be sharpened. In the middle of winter-prep stuff on the vehicles now; just got my new snows, but have to replace a rear hub/bearing on wife's AWD Matrix. Fun. (Old. Rusty. Stubborn. You know the drill....)