Tractor
    Ferguson TO30

Default Ferguson TO30 Steering BOx

How full and what kind of lube do I need to throw into a Ferguson TO-30 steering box?

I heard somebody pumped it full of grease. Any reason why not?

BOb

Default Re: Ferguson TO30 Steering BOx

G'day Bob there is no reason that you can't fill your box with grease it just stops the oil from leaking out. If you were to fill with grease i would prob thin it down a little with some gear oil so it can run into the bearing surfaces a bit easier.

Jon

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Senti View Post
    How full and what kind of lube do I need to throw into a Ferguson TO-30 steering box?

I heard somebody pumped it full of grease. Any reason why not?

BOb
    The spec calls fro GL-1 oil( same as the transhydraulic oil use in the tranny/rearaxle/hydraulics on the tractor. The fill is 2 quarts and the level, per the TO-30 Owners Manual is "...at the center of the steering arms." I think tht means at the center line of the transverse part of the steering shafts that come out of the sector gears.

Some people fill it with corn head grease when the seals are shot and it won't hold fluid. That's a temporary fix until you can fix it correctly. It's really not designed for a grease pack.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/MT View Post
    The spec calls fro GL-1 oil( same as the transhydraulic oil use in the tranny/rearaxle/hydraulics on the tractor. The fill is 2 quarts and the level, per the TO-30 Owners Manual is "...at the center of the steering arms." I think tht means at the center line of the transverse part of the steering shafts that come out of the sector gears.

Some people fill it with corn head grease when the seals are shot and it won't hold fluid. That's a temporary fix until you can fix it correctly. It's really not designed for a grease pack.
    may not be designed for it.. but even ford recognised that some lube on a bearing was better than no lube.,

I have a ford service bulletin dated oct 62 advising ford dealer service departments to retro fit steering boxes with 0ep grease to combat leaky sector seals / dry bearings.

nowadays I think I would use a 00ep grease for improved flowing.

that's what I put in all my steering boxes.. 00ep stens grease.

soundguy