MF 150 Stalling - Did I say Help? Help!!!!

/ MF 150 Stalling - Did I say Help? Help!!!!
Well, that wasn't it (the line I suspected). I was thinking though that perhaps I am not bleeding it to the point where all the air is really out of the system. Since I was regularly trying so many different things and having to bleed it after those attempts, perhaps I was not being patient enough. I say this because every once in while after I think I've got it, I get some bubbles from the upper drain of the fuel injector.

Anyway, she's still sitting there waiting for just the right thing.

Yesterday I let her idle for more than an hour but she stalled as soon as I stepped on the gas as usual. At this point a friend and I will check out the CAV fuel pump.
The great news is that she really runs pretty well and the original head gasket problem is fixed.

Let you know more when we get there.

Note: I just went out to take down some numbers and saw some moisture on the fuel inlet of the injection pump. My thought is that didn't show up until I ran it so long. This could be it! At least it's something different.

Last edited:
Alright. I unloosened and re-tightened the line leading from the fuel filter into the injector pump. No moisture there. I got it running but it again stalled but I thought, well, why not try to move it from its resting place of a couple of months? As long as I didn't "gun" it she should move. And yes, she did. Once closer to the garage, I thought what the heck, let's see if she stalls and she did that too. Well, I dismounted and checked everything again and I thought I saw a drip! I wasn't sure if it was residue from my bleed attempts but I saw a droplet forming from the filter where it mounts up against the filter holder. Aha! I've always been afraid of over tightening that since I have a glass bowl but I have a spare so I decided to be a bit more cavalier about it. My guess is that was the main culprit after I changed the cracked bowl a few weeks earlier. It just didn't appear until I moved the tractor.
It behaves much better now though it's still a little touchy with the accelerator. I'm pretty sure that my injector pump needs some love. That's the next project.
It's going to rain for a couple of days so I'll get my chance to actually test it out when I go to smooth my driveway.

Thanks for all your help guys. Trust me. I needed the moral support.

/ MF 150 Stalling - Did I say Help? Help!!!! #14  
MF Perkins final filter has a small bleed fitting on top of filter base with a small line returning back to tank, may be straight or banjo type fitting. Has small .020 hole that sometimes plugs and will not bleed any trapped air out of filter as it should, if plugged air can get to injection pump and engine will die. Have worked on MF equip and diesel injection pumps for years, is worth a look.

Thanks DieselTech, that sounds good. I appreciate the help.

DieselTech,

Thanks for the advice again. I cleaned out that part(s) today. There was the banjo bolt and the valve. It wasn't particularly clogged at least not visably. It still stalled when I pressed on the pedal quickly. Of course, I didn't let it warm up and I wonder if I am even supposed to be doing that. After it stalls though, it is not easy to get it started again. I usually end up going back to the hand pump and make sure the top bleed nut on the injector pump has a good flow going.
Now that I think about it, I didn't stick anything physical into the banjo bolt to make sure it was clean. I focused mainly on the valve and making sure the little ball was mobile. Maybe tomorrow I should go back to that.
Of course, I should ask if this behavior of my tractor sounds like an air problem to you.
Thanks

/ MF 150 Stalling - Did I say Help? Help!!!! #17  
Make sure bleed hole is open, also may want to recheck filter sealing rings, top groove seal is a little bigger than lower seal, make sure it is not twisted in groove. Have seen air leaks past faulty seals but no fuel leaks. Keep us posted on your progress, will try to help where we can.

Thanks and so does that sound like air in system behavior? I will check the rings again. I matched them up before I put them because that top one is slightly tricky.

/ MF 150 Stalling - Did I say Help? Help!!!! #19  
There are 2 pump bleed screws, do you get good flow out of screw next to tag? That one is most critical, cover screw is to get trapped air out of top so governor parts don't rust. Family has had MF equip for years, I worked for MF dealer years ago before starting in diesel shop in 1976. If you like, call 574 893 4172 after 7 PM IN time, be glad to help.

Wow, thank you so much for your offer and the information. I'm going to speak about the most recent air-bleeds since I feel like I've done it dozens of times. I get much more flow out of the top screw if I compare them. The top one, after manually pumping and opening it will flow with a stream while the one below generally drips down the side. The one below, is by the tag. I will work at the bottom one to make sure I get a good flow like the top and give it a try.

Thanks.