broken crankshaft?

/ broken crankshaft? #1  

frankroberts

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 50
My MF 50 has a definite noise in the engine. The noise is louder when the engine is revved. Engine starts very well and, except for the noise, runs well.

I have been told (by the dealer who is trying to sell me another tractor), that the noise is a broken crankshaft. He is also offering me a very low trade-in value due to the 'broken crank'. He says that this year of Continental engines had a crank problem.

My questions are, is it possible to have a broken crank and a running engine? Has anyone ever heard of a crankshaft problem with this engine?

I am wondering if it could be a rod bearing going bad? If so could this possibly be fixed by dropping the oil pan and if able to identify the offending bearing, replace it without engine removal.

Any other ideas appreciated.

/ broken crankshaft? #2  
'noise' is a not very helpfull diagnostic term.

is it a knock?

a tic?

a skip?

if the crank were truly broke, you'd know it..

soundguy

/ broken crankshaft?
It could be a knock. A neighbor who considers himself a mechanic thinks it could be an exhaust manifold leak. I suppose that's a good place to start.

Thanks for the reply.

/ broken crankshaft? #4  
My MF 50 has a definite noise in the engine. The noise is louder when the engine is revved. Engine starts very well and, except for the noise, runs well.

I have been told (by the dealer who is trying to sell me another tractor), that the noise is a broken crankshaft. He is also offering me a very low trade-in value due to the 'broken crank'. He says that this year of Continental engines had a crank problem.

My questions are, is it possible to have a broken crank and a running engine? Has anyone ever heard of a crankshaft problem with this engine?

I am wondering if it could be a rod bearing going bad? If so could this possibly be fixed by dropping the oil pan and if able to identify the offending bearing, replace it without engine removal.

If you had a broken crank, you'd know it! It wouldn't run. Hows the oil pressure? Can you describe the sound? the engine is a Continental Z134 or a Z145 I believe and a weak crank was not their weakness.

/ broken crankshaft? #5  

A broken crankshaft? Odds are it wouldn't make ANY noise with a broken crank. It probably wouldn't run. Good chance it wouldn't turn over.

The "story" about Continental engines having a problem with cranks breaking is utter nonsense. No "year" had any problems. I've been around Ferguson/Massey Fergusons with Continental engines my entire life and have NEVER heard of ANY inherent issues with them. From the Z120, through Z145, the crankshafts were MASSIVE relative to the size/hp of the engine. No flippin' way they were "weak". I'd look for a dealer that actually has some clue as to what he's talking about. This clown doesn't.

You are dealing with a 50 year old engine, so it's very possible you have a bad rod bearing, maybe a piston w/ skirt broke off, possibly a worn wrist pin.....Dozens of possibilities, but a broken crankshaft is FAR from likely one of them.

For the record, I've had a tractor to snap a crankshaft. (1974 Ford 5000) I put an M&W turbo kit on it, cranked the fuel up and squeezed 104 hp out of it. While plowing, the rear flange snapped off smack in the middle of the rear main bearing. It was a catastrophic engine failure to say the very least. (Parts out the bottom of the oil pan, sparks and incredible noise) again, you'd not have to wonder if it was truely a broken crankshaft. Find a new dealer.

/ broken crankshaft? #6  
broken crank. I like that. I'll have to rememebr that one next time a buddy tells me he has a squeaking fan belt.. ;)

ditto 100% thouhg.. get a new dealer fast!

/ broken crankshaft? #7  

Dealer trying to sell you a tractor + a very low trade-in value due to "broken crank" = high profits for the dealer. Think about it, the dealer sells you a new tractor and gets your old one very cheap, then he repairs the old one by putting a set of new bearings in it (maybe) and rakes in the cash. Bottom line, the dealer is lying to you. And people wonder why I don't trust dealers.

As for the source of the sound, my money is on rod bearings. If the crank were broken, the engine would not run.

/ broken crankshaft? #8  
I started hearing what I thought was valves this past spring (hard tick, not a knock), was convinced by the sound that was what it was. Started looking at it and when I removed the manifold from the block I saw the manifold itself had corroded enough that there was a leak past the existing gasket. The head was perfect, like the day it was made. Cleaned it up, installed a new manifold gasket and she's back to purring like a kitten.

No way it's a crank from what you've described. You can do what you're asking without splitting the tractor but I'd suggest getting yourself a manual, relatively inexpensive and will show you what you can do.

/ broken crankshaft?
Thanks for the replies. I do think the dealer who told me I had a broken crankshaft was taking advantage of my lack of experience.

I have since bought a 'new' tractor (outright), from a private party, so I still have the '50'. My new plan hasn't solidified yet but I will probably take it (the '50') to a local dealer (different) for repair estimate.

My new tractor a MF 230 is pictured here. :D

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-buying-pricing/237782-my-new-mf-230-a.html

comments welcome. Thanks again.

frankroberts

/ broken crankshaft? #10  
Nice looking tractor, looks like a real worker!:thumbsup: