MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #1  

mr_isoman

Tractor
Universal
Hi Guys, I am guessing there won't be a lot of you out there that can help me but I am giving it a try. I have an old MF200 crawler/loader with a 3 cyl perkins diesel and a forward reverse shuttle with 4 gears.
I picked this up out of a field where it had sat and after a little work was able to fire it up and runs good. I was using it to grade my parking lot, and was going fine until I lost the forward drive. It shifts to reverse and goes but shifting to forward does nothing. I have no manual at all on this and would appreciate any suggestions on how to tackle this problem.
Thanks

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #2  
Mind you, I'm just taking a shot in the dark here... But, that sounds an awful lot like the manual shuttle shift, acting up on my old Case backhoe I had.

The shaft that runs horizontal in through the shifter cover, (it is all one piece on the Case, shifter handle makes a 90 degree angle into the shift cover) and works the shifting fork, has fine splines, and a 1/8" spring/roll pin, cross drilled to hold the fork, on the shaft in place. The splines on mine were wore so bad, it would allow the tiny roll pin to shear. For some reason it would shift into forward, but not enough drag, to shift it into reverse.

It may be something as simple as that, or at least I'm hoping for you. I did replace the roll pin in mine, and it was fine, but found a complete cover with shifter on ebay for $35.00. I went ahead and switched it out. That one had been welded in place, so apparently it was a common problem.

If some previous operators "haunched" on it several hundred times, it may very well have the same problem.

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward
thanks we will give that a look see. I think it is something like that or a linkage as opposed to something major. Hard part is getting that apart.

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #4  
Hi guys new here, but used to old machines.Please note the sign in name!!
Sorry not much help with your problem.
The reason of course i found your post is because i have a similar situation, except my 200b does not go forward or back.

Already pulled the motor and replaced the seal at the torque, it was almost nonexistent. Figured for sure that was the problem, but that wasn't it!

What was i thinking? A english engine in an italian machine with lucas electrical what could possibly go wrong?LOL

Any and all help appreciated.Could really use this machine to install a septic system at the young lads place.

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #5  
Hi I have a mf 200 crawler as well that had a similar problem. There is a hydraulic pump for the reverser that provides pressure to the clutch packs forward and backward. It was not putting out enough pressure to engage the forward clutches properly. Likley the forward clutch in your machine is worn much more than the reversing clutch, possibly that is why is goes backward and not forward. Or possibly the forward clutches are just worn out. The pump is on the side of the motor and not that difficult to change.

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #6  
Thanks Sniderman, if you where referring to the one of many problems i have(just ask my wife!!!)
Found a local gent with a repair manual, he graciously had a copy made for me.
So dove into the transmission.Might have been as simple as either not enough fluid or a clogged filter.
Having problems locating the side mounted filter.But there is a much finer mesh screen on the bottom pick up.
The front seal when taking it apart i noticed i could see daylight from the inside of the trans so was not doing much sealing.So anytime you went down a grade it would have pissed fluid.
Btw the tourque holds 5 litres of 10w30 motor oil.
Would have it operational i hoped but some idiot tried to install the trans with the mini ex.Does not mention you should not do this in the repair manual!!!(sounded like a good idea at the time)
So waiting for a few bearings.
Going to unfortunately be an expert in this machine shortly.
Happy friday.

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #7  
Mr. ISOMan -
Know this is an older thread but would like to know how this turned out if you don't mind me asking, especially the parts side of it. Been looking at a '79 200B crawler/loader, 3 cyl Perkins and am curious of your experiences with these units. Not overly flush with cash so I have looking for something reasonable priced machine and may have found one. But if parts and maintenance is a struggle I would pass. Not to intimidated by working on something like this as I used to have a JD 440 with a Detroit - tough little machine that JD was.

Thx's
Mike

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #8  
Mr. ISOMan -
Know this is an older thread but would like to know how this turned out if you don't mind me asking, especially the parts side of it. Been looking at a '79 200B crawler/loader, 3 cyl Perkins and am curious of your experiences with these units. Not overly flush with cash so I have looking for something reasonable priced machine and may have found one. But if parts and maintenance is a struggle I would pass. Not to intimidated by working on something like this as I used to have a JD 440 with a Detroit - tough little machine that JD was.

Thx's
Mike

Hey Mike, I was able to locate a used hydraulic pump which did restore the forward action of crawler. I think parts are definitely an issue, one MF dealer I visited did not even have record of the model of the machine. Parts likely out there but take some time to locate and they will be getting more scarce as time goes on. I will be searching for steering clutch parts soon. I don't use mine much anymore......

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #9  
Hey Mike, I was able to locate a used hydraulic pump which did restore the forward action of crawler. I think parts are definitely an issue, one MF dealer I visited did not even have record of the model of the machine. Parts likely out there but take some time to locate and they will be getting more scarce as time goes on. I will be searching for steering clutch parts soon. I don't use mine much anymore......

Sniderman - appreciate the reply, think I'll move on foregoing the 200B I've been looking at. Also local to me I found a Case 780. Big machine weighing in at 18000 # plus. Looks pretty simple to work on, maybe a few extra system stuff things to consider like air brakes, warning lights and buzzers, but darn what a beast of a machine.

Thx's for your time so my search will continue. I've gotta clear 10 acres of logged stumps, overgrown brush and build fence. Of course install a septic system, build wife's covered riding arena. Sure don't want to use my new MF 1635 for the clearing effort.

Also have an eye on an older International Harvester TLB unit, don't know much about the IH line, waiting for the seller to contact me with a few more details.

Take care
Mike

/ MF 200 crawler loader, lost forward #10  

I managed to find the parts manual for the 200B posted online recently (I have a 2244 which uses the same pump). It turns out a new pump is available for $250. In fact, most of the engine and tranny parts seem to be available, but some of the undercarriage parts can be hard to source. I've read that they're actually available in Australia because they sold a lot of them there.