MF 35 Injector Pump Problems

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #1  

wbh

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 35
Looking for some help from the experts. I have a MF 35 w/perkins diesel CAV injector pump. For the last couple years it has been leaking around the fuel cut-off shaft on pump and over the winter would leak out if fuel not shut off at the tank. In the past I have been able to open valve @ tank and let gravity bleed for a few days then pull it a little down the driveway and would fire right up. After initial start would run fine the rest of season if cut fuel off @ tank after every use. This year wouldn't start so I have now bled it from the lift pump to the injection pump and still no fuel to the injectors. I have now bled it 3 times starting at the lift pump and working my way to the injection pump. I can get a good steady stream out the lower inj. pump bleed valve and a decent stream out the top bleed valve. However I can not get any fuel @ the injectors. I have tried to bleed it @ the injector tubes at both the pump end and injector end and still no fuel. I have removed the timing cover on pump and turned engine, pump seems to be turning fine. Can anyone shed some light on whether these pumps have any kind of screen etc. that might be clogged and the reason I am not getting fuel to the injector lines? Tractor was running fine when parked last year. I have bled both filters and injection pump numerous times now and still no flow out of end of pump at injector lines. Any help is greatly appreciated.

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #2  
If tractor has not run for awhile metering valve and/or plungers will stick and no fuel will get to injectors. Worst case is head seizure, hopefully not. Just resealed a 135 pump and mailed back to owner in MO. Removed a Roosa pump from IH 282 in Bucyres crane that has not run for a year last weekend, found plungers and valves stuck from stale fuel/water in system. Most can be repaired after complete teardown and cleaning with all gaskets and seals replaced.

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems
Fuel smelled stale and I have never experienced that with diesel fuel before. I was a small engine mechanic for 18 years and used to seeing it with gas. I suppose this is not something to tackle without the appropriate tools? Can you give me an estimate on what you charge to clean inspect and re-seal if that's all it would take? You can email me at wbh3569@bellsouth.net or reply here.
Thanks, Bill

P.S.
I have a reseal kit I bought off ebay last year to have the throttle and cutoff shaft seals that I have not opened.

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #4  
Repaired a CAV DPA for a fellow in MO, mailed back to him and total cost was under 200.00, call me at 574 893 4172 after 7 PM if you have any questions, be glad to help. His pump was from MF 135, needed complete reseal, had several leaks. Have worked on pumps since 1976.

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #5  
I have a Perkins A4-236 in my backhoe. Runs rich, heavy black smoke under load & no power. Inj pump? New made in India injectors from Greg's tractors recently.

Pump is a DPA V3340F000 B16192 mod DH

Starts instantly, no miss, just no guts & black smoke. Massey 50H hoe. Oh yeah, I'm at 6800' elevation.

Thoughts?

Joe H

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #6  
Hi JOE, Your 236 should not have heavy black smoke, what shape are air filters in, if any doubt may need to replace both inner and outer. Outer can be cleaned but inner saftey filter cannot. Made a service call on MF 175D once, same engine you have, would only start and idle. Replaced filters and ran fine. Will check on your pump, are you sure DPA # is 3440F000, will find setting code if not on your tag. At your elevation full load fuel setting may need derated. Just hope someone didn't try that already and moved fuel plate the wrong way. Only other possibility is wrong tip spray angle in injectors, will check on that too.

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #7  
Filters are new or close to it. Could pull the intake hose and see if it makes any difference but guessing it won't. Number is as I copied it down. I can look again but I was careful. It's a few miles away but I can look again tomorrow.
The injectors I bought are crossovers from the Massey number, ever site I looked at had the same made in India injectors. A guy who runs a military maintenance depot said change the injectors. As I was already thinking that way I did it. Thinking about it later I'm guessing he's in the change parts until it's fixed business. Not his money so who cares?
I have the factory manual but it's useless as to the injector pump. Take it off and send to authorized repair station is their answer. That's not gonna happen. And it's written in old useless English shop manual language too.
Thanks for your time, Joe H

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #8  
Had a look at it today & pump number is V3340F000 B16192 mod D. I'm not positive on the model D as it's kinda on the bottom side of the pump.

Took the rubber hose between air filter and manifold off and no change, when I load the hydraulics by locking the outrigger up it blows black smoke like fuel was free.

It starts on the first revolution but there is some engine oil smoke.

Joe H

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #9  
After I searched for derating lucas cav I found some info. This is the best of the bunch du to having some pictures Great Lakes Coal Rollers -> Straight pipe installed on my big tractor -- about the 10th post gets into it with pictures.

Explains it pretty well I guess but I don't know which way to turn it. He says both CCW & CW but It's not real clear which way he's looking at it.

Trial and error I guess.

Joe H

/ MF 35 Injector Pump Problems #10  
Still have some questions about your tractor Joe, did this smoke just start, always been there, has pump been worked on recently, etc. Can explain how fuel plate is held in pump, call if you like, 574 893 4172 after 7 PM IN time or try Yahoo E-mail, mhf35diesel@yahoo.com PS, DO NOT remove drive plate screws inside pump, just loosten, move plate notch with pump rotation to turn fuel down and retighten drive screws with 5/16 12 PT wrench, screws DO NOT have to come out of plate like they did.

Last edited: