Oil & Fuel Steering box vent leaking

/ Steering box vent leaking #1  

bsbrum

Silver Member
Tractor
1959 MF 65
Am on my second MF65 and they both weeped rusty looking oil out the steering box vent hole that is just under the dash panel.

This is a closed box on the MF65 - no connection to the power steering pump like a 35/135.

Is this common, and what's the fix?

It makes a dickens of a mess.

Much thanks!

/ Steering box vent leaking #2  
Sounds like condensation water buildup along with oil has box overfull. Best to drain and refill to level plug with new oil. Don't think there is a drain plug though, may drain out of some lower side cover bolts if they were drilled through. If not can loosten all cover bolts, bump arm end to move cover away about 1/4 inch to drain out what you can, then retighten and refill at plug on gearbox top side. What ever works be prepaired for a big mess, will take awhile to drain old thick oil.

/ Steering box vent leaking
Sounds like condensation water buildup along with oil has box overfull. Best to drain and refill to level plug with new oil. Don't think there is a drain plug though, may drain out of some lower side cover bolts if they were drilled through. If not can loosten all cover bolts, bump arm end to move cover away about 1/4 inch to drain out what you can, then retighten and refill at plug on gearbox top side. What ever works be prepaired for a big mess, will take awhile to drain old thick oil.

Of course, and water is going to drop to the bottom, pushing the oil out.

Grrrr! What a pain. :)

Thanks much, Dieseltech!

There is a drain plug...

image-213042705.jpg

/ Steering box vent leaking #5  
If yours has a drain plug you are lucky, just looked up steering box service in original operator manual, shows side cover must come loose as no drain plug is on assembly. Had to replace complete box on cousin's 65 last summer, never found a plug on his either. His was so bad it was not worth repairing, enough water had gotten inside it froze and pushed out welsh plug years ago, lost any oil it had and ran dry for years. Sits out all the time, is one tired tractor, but he still runs it as is.

Dieseltech said:
If yours has a drain plug you are lucky, just looked up steering box service in original operator manual, shows side cover must come loose as no drain plug is on assembly. Had to replace complete box on cousin's 65 last summer, never found a plug on his either. His was so bad it was not worth repairing, enough water had gotten inside it froze and pushed out welsh plug years ago, lost any oil it had and ran dry for years. Sits out all the time, is one tired tractor, but he still runs it as is.

Dieseltech, you were right on both counts.

I had no drain plug, and I drained about a quart of water out of the steering box - I just cracked the case and let it leak out.

Many thanks!