MF 35-Want to do a Restoration

/ MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #1  

Ragged Edges

Tractor
John Deere 4500, Massey Ferguson 35 Deluxe (Work in Progress Project)
My Brother in Laws offered to give me this MF 35 Deluxe which I am going to take. I belive it is a 1964 based on the serial number data I found The serial number is SGM 252509. It hasnt been run in a few years but was running when the parked it. This tractor does have sentimental value to us since my father in law who passed away 3 years ago used it on the farm my wifes brothers and nephews now run.

I plan on doing (or attempting!) a restoration on this. I have never done a restoraton before but have been wanting to do one for some time.
Im trying to learn as much about these tractors as I can before I do anything to it. I have ordered a shop manual and some books on restoration. I plan on picking it up soon and bringing it home and giving it a good cleaning then attempting to get it running before I start anything.

If anyone would like like to share any information sources on restoration or these 35's, It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and whish me luck!
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20120421_153628.jpg
    IMG_20120421_153628.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 3,057
  • IMG_20120421_154121.jpg
    IMG_20120421_154121.jpg
    972.5 KB · Views: 1,719
   / MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #2  
Good luck Mike. Mine was running well enough that I put it to use right away when we built our house. Changed some parts along the way over the past dozen or so years but the time is coming to do an overhaul.

I've only got the IT manual, will be looking for something better before starting the project.

/ MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #3  
Your tractor looks like an ideal candidate for a restoration. From the pictures, it appears that the Massey 35 has the Continental Z-134 4 cylinder gasoline engine. Parts are plentiful and reasonably priced, plus the older Massey tractors are easy to work on.

Tractor Data:
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 35 tractor information

Last edited by a moderator:
   / MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #4  
I own a mf 35 deluxe and they are good old tractors. I would worry too much about getting it running. Check your oil, Radiator levels, fresh gas and a full battery. Try to have a spare set of plugs and points on hand.But it might fire off right away.

If you get it running, lube all the zerts, check the trans level then put it through all the gears and run your pto. Use it a little then change all fluids and enjoy.

I am currently rebuilding my Z134 for my mf 35 its in the machine shop. All new Sleeves, pistons, rings bearings, rods reconditioned Crank ground if necessary, valve job. Restorations can be mild or wild if your turns out to be a good runner its very satisfyling work. If you are near Ohio I know a mechanic who specializes in professional tractor restorations. He has a2n Ford in the shop now that looks like a museum tractor.....

/ MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #5  
This place will be a good source of information for the MF35. I have 2 of the Deluxes, one is a '61 and the other is a '64. Both with the Continental Z-134 engine. One with multi power the other without. Also I have a 1961 Workbull that has the same identical engine. I currently have the head off of it to fix a broken valve seat which gave me 0 psi of compression in one of the cylinders. Good luck with your restore. I love these little tractors.:thumbsup:

/ MF 35-Want to do a Restoration
Thank you all for the information. I know I will need more help as time goes on!
Mike

/ MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #7  
Thank you all for the information. I know I will need more help as time goes on!
Mike

The Yesterday's Tractors website Massey Ferguson Forum is also a good source of info for these older tractors.

/ MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #8  
Let me know how it goes with your rebuild. I am also doing a small rebuild project on my Ferguson 35. I was ordering parts for a carburetor rebuild, and rather then just ordering gaskets, (carburetor had a significant leak) I am going with full rebuild of the carb. Never have done anything like this we’ll see how it goes. When I went to a local shop who used to carry the Massey Ferguson the fella there said it was a TO-35 (gas). I was totally confused with what model it was when going through the manual. I was curious of the year of manufacture as well. Fella said between 58 and 64. Still I am not totally convinced of the date or at least I wanted a more exact year. Oh well. I will keep my peepers open for a little more info. I am rambling a bit but wanted to let you know someone else is attempting at least a particle refurbishment. My gauges had gone to heck so them may be next. I wanted to put the 35 into ripping an area for some water lines so I am in a hurry to accomplish the rebuild, but not hastily. However, the fella at the shop suggested I use my JD 4600 for the ripping instead since that kind of work is quite hard on the tractor. We’ll see. I tend to work these tractors and they have not let me down. The Ferguson 35 alway, alway starts right up. Amazing! Keep posting your progress… Thanks, this my first post being new to the forum. Thanks for listening...

/ MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #9  
Good luck on your restoration. I'm working on a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF complete restoration. The engine rebuild alone cost me $1600 ($800 parts, $800 labor, had the engine work done professionally, 4-cyl 25hp Hercules L-head gasser). I'll probably have up to $5K in that project when it's finished.

/ MF 35-Want to do a Restoration #10  
I've got a MF 231 that I'm working on because I dusted the engine. I've got decent skills and tools but no tractor experience. After a a few hours of tear down, I've concluded that tractor manufacturers assumed that farmers were going to be tearing down these tractors with a crescent wrench, 6 sockets, and two box end wrenches, in an unlighted barn. So far, everything has come apart easily, plenty of space to work, logical assembly, etc. I had some fear that I'd get it apart and never get it back together, but after taking it apart I'm thinking I might start doing this as a hobby and get a 135 to tinker with...