GC 2400

/ GC 2400 #1  

Don87

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2400
My GC2400 went into the shop on Monday.

I fired it up on Sunday to use it, and it was clearly missing badly. Whole tractor was shaking. Even vibrated the screws out of the 'slow vehicle triangle'.

I purchased the tractor on 5/7/10, and this is the first trip to the dealer.

Supposed to be delivered this evening or in the morning, will keep you all posted.

/ GC 2400
Update:

Just got my tractor back. Dealer put tractor on the dyno, and it was putting out 17HP to the rear PTO. They put in a new air filter(old one was slightly clogged they said), and ran the tractor at full throttle for a while to burn out potential carbon deposits, caused by restricted air flow. They said after about 30 minutes of full throttle operation, the PTO HP climbed to 18.5.

Tractor does not appear to be shaking/vibrating like it was last Sunday. Dealers advice was to occasionally work the tractor hard, at full throttle, to burn off potential carbon deposits.

Mine still needed the lower radiator hose replaced under warranty, due to the throttle linkage digging into it. So that was repaired at the same time.

/ GC 2400 #6  
I have had similar results with a clogged fuel filter as well. Something to keep an eye on.

/ GC 2400
That will be the next thing I replace, mine is turning a little dark in color.

/ GC 2400 #8  
Update:
Mine still needed the lower radiator hose replaced under warranty, due to the throttle linkage digging into it. So that was repaired at the same time.

Nice to know after more than 5 years, they were still being built, (and delivered), with the same problem the original ones had. Unbelievable. :mur:

Not too sure that I buy the idea that the air filter was your problem. It would have to be pretty dirty. Like reallllllly dirty.

How long did you run the tractor when you had the problem?

Sounds like one cylinder was not firing. If that is the case, and there is no fuel delivery issue, when you run it long enough, it will clear it's self out.

If it happens again, and you have a non-contact thermometer, the cylinder that is not firing will be noticeably cooler that the others.

The first thing I do would then, is check that glow plug. If your lucky, that will be the problem.

If they all are about the same, I would check the fuel pressure.

/ GC 2400
Nice to know after more than 5 years, they were still being built, (and delivered), with the same problem the original ones had. Unbelievable. :mur:

Not too sure that I buy the idea that the air filter was your problem. It would have to be pretty dirty. Like reallllllly dirty.

How long did you run the tractor when you had the problem?

Sounds like one cylinder was not firing. If that is the case, and there is no fuel delivery issue, when you run it long enough, it will clear it's self out.

If it happens again, and you have a non-contact thermometer, the cylinder that is not firing will be noticeably cooler that the others.

The first thing I do would then, is check that glow plug. If your lucky, that will be the problem.

If they all are about the same, I would check the fuel pressure.
The "fix" for the radiator hose is..........a simple zip tie. One would think that the factory would put one on during assembly,(would save recalls) but what do I know..........I'm just a truck driver.

I think the air filter was just part of my problem. When I'm just tinkering around, I tend to operate at about 1800 rpm's. When mowing, I generally keep the tach around the '540' pto mark. And the fuel I'm getting may be crappy fuel. All of the above I can change easy enough.

Last sunday when I fired it up, is when it started shaking badly, (but my neighbor commented last summer that the engine seemed to be shaking a lot more than he remembered) like the engine was missing, and I had a noticeable power loss, even at full throttle, which is what I mowed the grass at last week.

If it does it again, I may start by cracking injector lines to see if I can isolate the cylinder. If that doesn't work, I'll purchased one of those temperature guns, and check fuel pressure.

/ GC 2400 #10  
Sounds like a good plan.

My dad's Honda TLB has an intermittent fuel issue, it's very frustrating.