hydrostatic trans run dry

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #1  

dingo983

Tractor
TO-20, NH 1725
My lower Pto seal on mythe 1531 had a big enough leak where I ended up running the transmission dry. It stopped dead in the field. After a while of holding down the petal, it would slowly move while making some pretty nasty noises.
My question is, what usually gives out first on a hydrostatic transmission when someone stupid (myself) runs it dry?

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #2  
My lower Pto seal on mythe 1531 had a big enough leak where I ended up running the transmission dry. It stopped dead in the field. After a while of holding down the petal, it would slowly move while making some pretty nasty noises.
My question is, what usually gives out first on a hydrostatic transmission when someone stupid (myself) runs it dry?
The hydrostatic transmission is swashplate type transmission likely destroyed. The oil flow is required to maintain an oil film between the moving metal parts. This is bad news I fear.:shocked:

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #3  

Any warranty left on it? A good dealer?

/ hydrostatic trans run dry
Ugh....Thanks for the replys. I just got the manual today. Guess I will be tearing it down this weekend.
Warranty is expired most likely. I bought it from a rental place.

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #5  
Ugh....Thanks for the replys. I just got the manual today. Guess I will be tearing it down this weekend.
Warranty is expired most likely. I bought it from a rental place.

Call a dealer with your serial number, you never know. Plus, thst phone call is free. Or, Contact AGCO.

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #6  
Man go buy you 5 gallons of fluid and pour in it. When it was pulling it had to have some fluid in it.

Let us know what you find.

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #7  
Man go buy you 5 gallons of fluid and pour in it. When it was pulling it had to have some fluid in it.

that's what i'd do 1st. 5 gal. of fluid :thumbsup: and pray
wouldn't hurt any worse.
david

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #8  

Agree, chances are it's fine.

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #9  
If you quit soon enough when you noticed it, filling it up with oil might turn out ok. Didn't do it any favors, but might work okyet.

Sounds like you weren't interested in quiting and investigating until it was all used up tho.... Stuff happens. We get to pay to learn. Ran a 140hp ag tractor out of hyd oil, hose tore under the cab, light came on, I drove to the edge of the field as rain was coming in 10 minutes....

Paid $4000 to fix up that short drive - hi-lo bearing seazed.

--->Paul

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #10  
Had a guy call me once and say that he ran is 8 speed powershift "a little low" on oil. He then asked if he hurt anything, I asked how low is low? He said it took 15 gal to fill it back up (it only hold like 16). I asked will it move? He said no, DAAAA There's you answer.

It took nearly $9000 to make it move again.