165 multi power

/ 165 multi power #1  

thefatemu

Tractor
mf 165
just wandering about multi power on a Massey Ferguson 165 and should it be used in high range or low range,I,ve allways used it in low range but have been told to use high. Cheers

/ 165 multi power #2  
Use it in both Hi and LO as needed, but use Hi when going downhill for engine braking to hold speed down from coasting. Shift main transmission with MP in Lo for easier gear changes.

/ 165 multi power #3  
I am looking at a Massey 165. I understand "multipower" was an option. What exactly is that and how do you determine if is present on a particular tractor. Is it desirable?

/ 165 multi power #4  
MP is used on 6 speed tractors to double to 12 speeds. Gives a Hi or Lo choice in each of 6 main trans gears and does not need clutch when shifting MP. Does need to be in Hi for engine braking downhill, will freewheel in Lo. MP shift lever is on left side of dash on 165 if fitted, if no lever it can be either straight 6 or 8 speed model. I would prefer MP feature, have it on my 165D. If it fails tractor will be in low all the time, can still be used. Trans must be removed to repair if clutch pack needs serviced. Low oil level is what usually burns the plates. On minus side MP models can't be roll or pull started.

/ 165 multi power #5  
Another feature of MP that I always liked, was when backing up a hill, if you are in high, just push in the clutch and the transmission will lock and prevent you from rolling forward. I was great backing hay wagons up into the barn.

/ 165 multi power #7  
Multi Power shift feature was on my MF 65Dieselmatic 1962 model, but may have started in l961. MF 65, 50, and 35 had it as an option first, then was available on 100 series models with choice of standard 6 speed or MP option. Early 70s was when 8 speedwas also available, neighbor has a 1973 175D 8 speed he bought new. MP was also an option on larger 1100 series. Have repaired a few smaller models MP in years past, usually from lack of care or low oil level which can burn Hi range clutch plates. 1100 series held up the best, have only repaired one in all my years of working around Masseys, and that was on a high houred 1150 I had for awhile and sold to my brother. 2000 series went to a 3 speed MP, have been in 5 of those and don't care to see any more. Was a good idea but when seal trouble begins and 2 cluthes try to apply at once it gets hot and seals melt. Low and Hi range clutches are applied with oil pressure, intermediate clutch is applied with spring pressure and released with oil pressure when either Lo or Hi is used. Massey went back to a 2 speed on 3000 series and had better service than 2000 series .

/ 165 multi power #8  
G.Day thefatemu.
Have a look in the tractor forum .com website I have answered a post on the subject.
Regards
hutch.