Dont think the Generator is the Problem Now

/ Dont think the Generator is the Problem Now #1  

Ragged Edges

Tractor
John Deere 4500, Massey Ferguson 35 Deluxe (Work in Progress Project)
After I read the replys to my earlier post about my thinking the generator was bad on my 35, I took a look at the wiring from the generator to the voltage regulator. It all looked marginal at best. I replaced the two wires from the generator to the volatage regulator. I then replaced the wiring to the coil, and starter solenoid. In addition I re did the splice connected the annemeter. Put everything back together and started it back up. took the positive terminal off and it still ran.

Some other observations I made were after starting the tractor, the annemeter showed it was charging for a little bit,(around 10 amps)then went to zero (the center) I have a new battery that if fully charged in the tractor. Im not sure if this is what it suppoed to do. Also, after I disconnected thepositive terminal, the meter didnt show it was discharging. again, im not sure what it supposed to show.

I plan on trying it again tomorrow after work to see if it will stay running. I still dont have all the parts for the throttle linkage but it will start and run at a speed that is above an not over reving. My tach cable is broke so the tach does not work. (Im still trying to figure out where it connects so I can get a replacement cable!)
Thanks to everyone that replied to my earlier post, especially Dieseltech and Massey WV. I cant say how much I appreciate everyones help!
Mike

/ Dont think the Generator is the Problem Now #2  
Original tach cable ran off a gearbox on back of gen. If it has been replaced it may be gone if former owner didn't care if tach worked.

/ Dont think the Generator is the Problem Now #3  
After I read the replys to my earlier post about my thinking the generator was bad on my 35, I took a look at the wiring from the generator to the voltage regulator. It all looked marginal at best. I replaced the two wires from the generator to the volatage regulator. I then replaced the wiring to the coil, and starter solenoid. In addition I re did the splice connected the annemeter. Put everything back together and started it back up. took the positive terminal off and it still ran.

Some other observations I made were after starting the tractor, the annemeter showed it was charging for a little bit,(around 10 amps)then went to zero (the center) I have a new battery that if fully charged in the tractor. Im not sure if this is what it suppoed to do. Also, after I disconnected thepositive terminal, the meter didnt show it was discharging. again, im not sure what it supposed to show.

I plan on trying it again tomorrow after work to see if it will stay running. I still dont have all the parts for the throttle linkage but it will start and run at a speed that is above an not over reving. My tach cable is broke so the tach does not work. (Im still trying to figure out where it connects so I can get a replacement cable!)
Thanks to everyone that replied to my earlier post, especially Dieseltech and Massey WV. I cant say how much I appreciate everyones help!
Mike

Check the rear of the tach to make sure the bearnings aren't seized. You should be able to spin it freely. The 35 and the 135 used or could use the same cable. One end is larger which goes to the tachdrive on the rear of your generator and feed up to the tachometer connection behind the dash. Some tachs had a backlight where you could run a run a wire from it to one of the terminals on the ignition switch or the ampmeter gauge.