Massey 3 point hydraulics issues

/ Massey 3 point hydraulics issues
No I have not. I think I will have time to look at it this next weekend. We are in the middle of moving and unpacking .
Stay tuned!

Don

I Had a little bit of time today to look at the tractor. What I did was remove the response cover as suggested earlier. I found that the spring on the back of the response cover was intact and appeared to be in good condition . I did see another spring inside the housing as well and it also appeared good and intact. I Did run the tractor hydraulics up then down . What happened was when I moved the position control lever up any amount the lift arms went up and activated the relief valve. This happened in any position just above the down position. I the lowest positions it just took longer to run the arms up and to activate the relief. I was not in the transport or constantly pumping. The other thing I found was that the lever on the pump (or pump arm) to the vertical lever from the position controls had about 3/16 of a inch of gap at the lowest setting (all the way down on the response controls.I did not think to see what that distance would equate to on the quadrant positions . I could check that tomorrow.

What next ?
Don

Last edited:
   / Massey 3 point hydraulics issues #23  
G,Day donhartman.
It sonds like the control valve may be sticking a wee bit I suggest removing the lift cove and draining the oil.
When removing the lift cover to protect the control lever from damage ,before lifting fit two of the long bolts from the raear of the cover to the front this will ensure the cover does not swing and hit anything ahve a look and using your manual have a play ,if you get stuck Just Cry HELP.
Happy days Hutch

/ Massey 3 point hydraulics issues #24  
Morning Don. I would agree with Shona13, as stated in my earlier post what I found was not only oil contaminated from water (split shift lever boots) but also grease from my having greased the lift arms, excess can fall directly into the trans case. I was amazed in the difference changing the oil / filter after cleaning all the sludge from the bottom of the case made. I checked the shift lever stop, the pod etc once I had it on the bench, much easier to clean / inspect. You could do most of what I'd done without having removed the top cover but I wanted to check the lift piston and have a good look at the pump, hard to do that without removing the cover.

Not sure if the 231 is the same as my 135 for the grease, something to look for after draining the oil. You'll see there's a fair amount that will remain in the case after it's drained off.

Also, not sure if your cover is similar to the 135, be advised it is heavy and the lift piston and linkages are attached towards the rear of the cover. That weight along with additional cast weight made it extremely difficult to lift straight off to avoid damaging the linkages.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I guess I need to pull the pump to check the control valve.I know it is hard to say without the pump out and in hand . But what are t
he chances of just a cleanup fixing this vs a complete rebuild of the pump? Online source for said rebuild kit?

Also is my assumption correct in that if i don't disrupt any of the linkage that its settings will be correct once reassembled?

Any estimates on the weight of the top cover assembly?

Thanks
Don

/ Massey 3 point hydraulics issues #26  
Looking at your most recent picture in post #22 has the fluid changed in color from when you flushed and cleaned it the first time? Could be just the picture but it looks to me as though it too has been contaminated with moisture. You mentioned having cleaned the inlet screen, is there a cylindrical filter in the system as well?

It took me a full day to clean mine out. Even with the cover removed there were cavities that I had to spray with oil, let set and wipe clean. Like yours mine had some sludge in the bottom of the case, which as I said was actually grease from the three point lift arms. It was the sludge from the grease that had made its way to my filter that had all but blocked it off, there was no cleaning it, it had to be replaced (inexpensive).

As far as the weight of the top cover, I'd estimate mine at around 75 pounds. When removing it by hand you have to stand at the side of the tractor, and are limited in your ability to manoeuver by the rear end cast and fender. Trying to remove it from the rear offers even less manoeuverability given the need to lift it straight up until linkages clear. If you have an engine stand or block and tackle I'd strongly urge you to use it to prevent injury.

To answer your question regarding whether the linkages will work, yes, if undisturbed they will function as they had prior to your removing the cover, so long as they are not damaged during removal.

Mike

That fluid is about 6 months old. When I changed it I cleaned the screen per the manuals instructions. But it was not really that dirty at all. I did clean the cavity from the filter access hole on the tractors belly. I did rinse and brushed the gunk out best I could.
I think some of what you are seeing, coffee colored oil is from the relief kicking off a few times before the photo was taken. Lots of air in that oil!

Thanks
Don

/ Massey 3 point hydraulics issues #28  
Don,

Hyd fluids have foaming agents that prevent air from limiting compressibility of the oil and diminishing it's effectiveness. It shouldn't discolour unless there are contaminants in the oil.

I can only recommend what I would do if I were in your position, which is remove the cover. It isn't a particularly technical job, but it is a little grunt work. The potential to do anything terrible wrong is minimal. For me, curiosity would get the better of me. If all I were to accomplish was to give the case a good cleaning and confirmation everything is OK, I'd be happy with having removed the cover.

Last edited:
   / Massey 3 point hydraulics issues #29  
Does this response also go for a MF231. I understand that there are differences between the MF231S and the MF231, but I am not sure what the differences are.