Oil & Fuel HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel!

/ HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel! #1  

regerton

Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF-231
Need some advice here!
I have a '97 MF 235 I purchased new back then and have used ever since.
Apparently my fuel gauge sender is stuck (as it reads 1/4 tank) but yesterday, I was shredding and it missed a couple of times, lurched a little and stopped.
Wouldn't crank up!
Checked a couple of things, then removed the fuel cap and looked in to see the bottom of the tank!
No fuel at all!
So, tomorrow afternoon, when I get off work, I'm going to get several gallons of diesel in a plastic container and put in the tank.
But, before I crank it up, I need to know if there is anything else I need to do.
On older diesel pickups (before electronic fuel injection) some of them had to have the injectors 'bleed' before cranking them up, once fuel was added to the tank.
Anything like that need to be done to the MF 235?

Once I had finished my shredding, it's time to change the engine oil and filter and the fuel filters.
So, once I get it running again, I think I'm going to just warm it up and change the oil and all the filters.

In advance, thanks for your advice!
Ray

Last edited:
   / HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel! #2  
fill tank. refer to your manual on how to bleed the filter assy, and then it may have electric or manual fuel pump to bleed up to the injectors.. crack limes with a tool and run over till fuel bubble sout and no air. do all lines. may actually crank when 2/3's of the lines are bled.

some people pull start them after a lil bleeding if it is a plain gear tranny.

check fuel before mowing.. ;)

/ HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel!
Thanks for the advice!!
Including 'checking fuel before shredding'!!
:thumbsup:

I looked at the fuel gauge, but now, that thing reminds me of my ex-wife;
It lies to me!!
:laughing:

It is a plain gear tranny, so I need to, I can pull start it.

So, when I get it running, and after changing the oil, filters and all, I'm pulling the cowling off the top and getting that fuel level sender out and fixing it too!
:)

Again, THANKS!
Ray

Last edited:
   / HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel! #4  
when i said check the fuel I really didn't mean look at the gauge.. I meant to stare down into the tank.. like I do on all my 60 and 50 year old tractors.. :)

/ HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel! #5  
Need some advice here!
Apparently my fuel gauge sender is stuck (as it reads 1/4 tank) but yesterday, I was shredding and it missed a couple of times, lurched a little and stopped.
Wouldn't crank up!
Checked a couple of things, then removed the fuel cap and looked in to see the bottom of the tank!
No fuel at all!
So, tomorrow afternoon, when I get off work, I'm going to get several gallons of diesel in a plastic container and put in the tank.
But, before I crank it up, I need to know if there is anything else I need to do.
On older diesel pickups (before electronic fuel injection) some of them had to have the injectors 'bleed' before cranking them up, once fuel was added to the tank.

Once I had finished my shredding, it's time to change the engine oil and filter and the fuel filters.
So, once I get it running again, I think I'm going to just warm it up and change the oil and all the filters.

Ray
Ray, my 135 has a bad sending unit. I took it apart and saw what the problem is. There is a spring loaded contact that has the float. The contact sweeps across a wire wound riastat. In my case the wound wires where open rendering the sender useless. Yours may have a dead spot and the sweeper contact is probably caught in some open wires. If it where me, I'd pull the sending out and look it over real good for damage. You can use a Ohm meter to see if indeed it's open. -robert

/ HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel! #6  
Need some advice here!
Wouldn't crank up!
No fuel at all!

Ray

Here's a general bleeding proceedure for diesel fuel systems:

Bleeding a Diesel Fuel System

Start at the fuel outlet of the tank (inlet to the filter). Shut the tank valve, remove the line at the filter inlet and holding a suitable container to catch the diesel fuel, open the valve. You should have a CONTINUOUS rush/flow of fuel out of the line. If it dribbles or is intermittent, check the fuel cap for a blockage of the fuel vent or the strainer upstream of the valve for clogging. The strainer/screen is attached to the shut-off valve, and is positioned up inside the tank. You will have to drain the tank and pull the valve to clean the screen.
If you have good fuel flow at that point, reconnect the line and open the bleeder screw at the top of the filter. Turn on the tank valve and wait till you have a steady flow of fuel with no bubbles at the top of the filter, then close the bleeder screw.
Your pump may have a bleeder screw. If so, open that until fuel streams out with no bubbles, then close it. If you cannot identify the bleeder screw, loosen the inlet connection at the pump and purge air at that point.
Go back and make sure ALL the fittings in the fuel delivery system are tight so they cannot suck air.
Make sure the battery is fully charged. Loosen the fuel fittings at the injectors, either one at a time or all at once. Crank the engine till you see all fuel at the injector fittings and then tighten the fittings. If you do indvidual fittings, the engine will usually start before you get to the last fitting.
Alternatively, you can "tow-start" it to save wear and tear on your starter. Leave the injector lines cracked open at the injectors at first to purge the lines. Then tighten them up and she should start.
Your injection pump puts out a very small amount of fuel (high pressure/low volume). BE PATIENT. If the lines are totally empty, it takes a lot of cranking to fill them up.
sixbales & Jerry/MT

/ HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel! #7  
Hi Jerry, if you cracked opened the inlet line at the pump wouldn't it gravity feed all the way down, if the tanks on top? Robaton

/ HELP! Ran MF235 Out of fuel! #8  
G'day robaton .
You are going to change the fuel filters so you may as well change them now otherwise you will be doing the same thing again when you change them at a later date.

Change the filters including the THREE o rings one top and one bottom of filter make sure the old o rings have been removed from the top housing ,there is a small o ring where the bolt that holds the filter in place comes through it is about 3/4 inch diameter.
Fit the filters and make sure they are tight then loosen the bleed nut on the top of the secondary filter ,the one nearest the engine operate the fuel primer pump by hand ,it is on the right hand side of the engine ,if you follow the fuel line down from the tank you will find the pump,keep pumping till ALL air is out and tighten up the bleeder.
Next go to the injector pump ,the one with all the pipes hanging of it there are two small bleed screws on the pump body loosen the lower one first and again operate the primer pump till ALL AIR IS OUT tighten and do the same with the top bleeder.

Set the throttle at say half way and loosen an injector pipe at the pump will do pick the easiest one to get to and with the engine stop in as in the run position crank the engine and it will start and run a bit rough ,let it run for say five seconds and stop the engine and tighten up the injector pipe ,this way you are not exposed to the dangers of high pressure injection of fuel into your hands,best to be safe.
Happy Days.
Hutch.