Just bought a MF 3635

/ Just bought a MF 3635 #1  

deputyrpa

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Massey Ferguson 3635 Cab
I just picked up a used 2008 MF 3635 Cab w/ML260 loader. It had 279 hrs on it (now 287), and I'm trying to figure some stuff out, because I did not get an operator's manual with it. I sold my Kioti DK45 TLB to step up into a tractor I can do more farming on my land with, to help my neighbor out with his dairy farm. Maybe some of you can tune me in.

So far, it 's really nice. I fund some broken plastic and glass in it, so an event must have taken place. There are some small screw holes in the cab's right side door frame too. The wires on the steering column are exposed, and there's a splice wire by the shifter, running to the seat area. It's not in the correct place. Other than that, it looks new, but there are a few things:

1. There is loader leakdown (curl and lift), even under power. The loader is a 2010, unused when purchased. It's probably in the valve, but I don't know. I hope the dealer will address that when I tell him.

2. The steering wheel hums in my hands (mildly whines) when turning, but not at rest.

3 It has a Powershuttle and Powershift. The Powershift is a clutch button (cool). Is the Powershuttle electro-hydraulic? Do I need to come to a complete stop before changing direction? Do I need to clutch it?

Oh yeah....4. there's overspray on the filter by the loader valve, and on the cooling fan. Is that normal with MF? I've had a new tractor where that was the case.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• MF abby normals 004.jpg
    MF abby normals 004.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 564
  • MF abby normals 005.jpg
    MF abby normals 005.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 416
  • MF abby normals 007.jpg
    MF abby normals 007.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
   / Just bought a MF 3635 #2  
deputyrpa said:
1. There is loader leakdown (curl and lift), even under power. The loader is a 2010, unused when purchased. It's probably in the valve, but I don't know. I hope the dealer will address that when I tell him.

2. The steering wheel hums in my hands (mildly whines) when turning, but not at rest.

3 It has a Powershuttle and Powershift. The Powershift is a clutch button (cool). Is the Powershuttle electro-hydraulic? Do I need to come to a complete stop before changing direction? Do I need to clutch it?

Oh yeah....4. there's overspray on the filter by the loader valve, and on the cooling fan. Is that normal with MF? I've had a new tractor where that was the case.

Thanks for the help.

1. This is a problem that needs to be addressed.

2. A possible problem, except that you will always be able to sense a load on the system when turning. I do not notice this like you do on my 3645, but mines not a cab so it may be all of the other vibrations are masking it on mine.

3. You do not need to stop or clutch, it clutches for you.

4. Can you take a picture? I will compare on mine if you can take a picture.

The troubles I've had are that the fuel gauge does not always work, and more troubling the temp gauge is jacked up. On cold start, it will barely read, but after literally a few minutes the gauge is maxed out on the hot side. I've raised the cowl and shot the block with a laser/ir temp gun and it shows about 162, same for top of the radiator. I'm pretty sure that's where it should be with a 160 degree thermostat, but this issue troubles me greatly because I cannot monitor when the tractor has been worked too hard or if something is wrong. The dealer is chasing it down but I drove a 3635 on their lot last month and noticed it had the same issue. Since MF ended the relationship with agritalia I have no confidence I will get a satisfactory resolution and I'm not sure what my aftermarket options are.

/ Just bought a MF 3635
Thas for the help. I added some pics.

/ Just bought a MF 3635
Cynical,

I used it some more today. I feel the hydraulic pump working when I turn the wheel. It's not bad, but my Kioti never did it. I'll bring it up to the dealer tomorrow as well.

The tractor must have been sitting around for a while. The windshield fluid pump leaked and the reservoir cracked in my hands when I grabbed it to remove it.

Funny, I had saved this exact tractor on my eBay "Watch List" back in February. It was for sale at McGrew Equipment in PA. The listing ended with no sale. My dealer must have bought it from them.

/ Just bought a MF 3635
I curled the bucket, shut the machine off and disconnected the lines to the bucket cylinders. I placed a floor jack underneath the lip of the bucket to relieve pressure in order to re-connect the lines. However, overnight there was no movement. So I figure the leakdown is in the valve body, or caused by the solenoid position. The problem is, I don't know if it has a solenoid! :confused: Does anyone have an idea?

/ Just bought a MF 3635 #6  
deputyrpa said:
I curled the bucket, shut the machine off and disconnected the lines to the bucket cylinders. I placed a floor jack underneath the lip of the bucket to relieve pressure in order to re-connect the lines. However, overnight there was no movement. So I figure the leakdown is in the valve body, or caused by the solenoid position. The problem is, I don't know if it has a solenoid! :confused: Does anyone have an idea?

I don't know. To me this is a critical problem. I don't know where a solenoid would fit in this system so I think, like you, this must be a valve issue. Man I can't tell you how much the leak down would bother me...

/ Just bought a MF 3635 #7  
deputyrpa said:
I just picked up a used 2008 MF 3635 Cab w/ML260 loader. It had 279 hrs on it (now 287), and I'm trying to figure some stuff out, because I did not get an operator's manual with it. I sold my Kioti DK45 TLB to step up into a tractor I can do more farming on my land with, to help my neighbor out with his dairy farm. Maybe some of you can tune me in.

So far, it 's really nice. I fund some broken plastic and glass in it, so an event must have taken place. There are some small screw holes in the cab's right side door frame too. The wires on the steering column are exposed, and there's a splice wire by the shifter, running to the seat area. It's not in the correct place. Other than that, it looks new, but there are a few things:

Thanks for the help.

The column wires look like there may be a trim piece missing. My column is different on the open station, but I think you're missing a trim piece. The spliced wire I don't know about either, except I know there was a factory fix supplied to dealers that involved a pig tail type splice somewhere on the tractor and it was electronic related. That may be it, hidden poorly. On the overspray, I guess that is the factory filter and I would go ahead and replace it given the age. Alternatively, a lot of dealers lay down new black paint on used machines and that could explain it.

Get the dealer to address leak down on the loader. No excuse for it in my book.