Radio installation in a MF 1600 series

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #1  

droptop

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1635 cab
After searching and finding little on how to install a radio in a MF Cab tractor, I set out to be able to listen to my new radio in the tractor while mowing around my orchard.

My initial plan was to install a radio into my MF 1635 by removing the headliner and mounting the stereo. That was quickly changed when I actually started to try and remove the headliner. It quickly became evident that removing the headliner was not possible, but the real solution was to go in thru the top, by removing the roof of the cab. I removed the five screws from the inside of the cab and four on the back of the cab from the air inlet. I latter surmised that the four on the back could have been left on and would have acted as a hinge for the top. You also need to remove the two screw clips from the top- middle of the headliner as these go into the roof of the cab.

Once the top was open, the job got much easier. I set the new stereo (a nice Pioneer unit from Walmart for $118) into the bracket and marked the position of where it should set to get the correct placement of the faceplate so that the trim ring would fit properly. The bracket was removed to screw the stereo onto the bracket (four #10 x 1/2" sheet metal screws), then replaced the bracket into its original position.

Since I was originally planning on removing the headliner I bought an antenna from Crutchfield that stuck onto the inside of the windshield. I ended up sticking it onto the rear glass and grounding the power amp that was built into the antenna on the rear wiper motor. Had I known removing the top of the cab was that easy, I probably would have used a conventional antenna and mounted it in the side of the cab where the hole is provided.

I made all of the electrical connections using wire splice taps, which left the original connectors in place which were already prewired to the speakers. One of the connectors had battery, battery on when the ignition was on, and ground; the other connector had the four speaker wires.

When I got it all back together it sounded good and looked great. I hope this helps anyone that is going to do a radio install or has to work on the AC or heater in the future.

2012-06-02124043.jpg

2012-06-02124130.jpg
2012-06-02152859.jpg
2012-06-02180958.jpg
2012-06-02192811.jpg

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #2  
I did not go to that much trouble with my 1660 radio. I simply cut the factory supplied harness and spliced onto the radio harness and slid it in place from inside the cab, I'll admit that running the antenna wire was tricky, but it does work. Thanks for the pictures.

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #3  
Thanks for the pics, and the tips on the cab removal. How are the factory speakers?

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #4  
Great post, I'm curious what you think about the original speakers too.

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #5  
I don't want to steal his thread but, the factory speakers in my cab sound really good. I listen to the radio every time I use the tractor but I do not turn it up very loud, I have tried it out though and it seems like the radio has more power than the speakers can handle at that volume, but I can't see how anyone could stand it that loud in the cab.

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series
I did not go to that much trouble with my 1660 radio. I simply cut the factory supplied harness and spliced onto the radio harness and slid it in place from inside the cab, I'll admit that running the antenna wire was tricky, but it does work. Thanks for the pictures.

If you just slid it in place, how did you anchor it so it doesn't slide back out?

Great post, I'm curious what you think about the original speakers too.

The speakers aren't concert hall quality, but for a tractor they are just fine. They are Clarion brand and sound good.:)

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #8  
I locked the case in place by using the bendable tabs on the sides and top then I made wrap around the radio with duct tape and slid it into the case, has not tried to slide out as of yet.

Knowing what I do now, I'm sure that I could install the radio in a little over an hour if I had to do it again. The stick on window antenna works well, but I would have preferred the outside one.

/ Radio installation in a MF 1600 series #10  
I could say the same, the hardest part for me was determining which wires went to which speaker, they were both grey. I did go with the external antenna and I'm glad I did, I'm in the process now of tinting my windows with a hybrid metal window tint film and have heard that would limit radio, cell signals inside the cab.