MF 35 Sticks In Gear

/ MF 35 Sticks In Gear #11  
Hi Again Moxxy.
I should have read your problem a bit more thoroughly.
I would say there is a problem with the clutch,possibly the flywheel spigot bearing ,I have had situations where the spigot bearing was dry and HANGING onto the clutch transmission plate just enough to put a little bit of pressure on the transmission and causing what you describe, especially when you come to a complete stop and the clutch is still hanging on you may have to split the tractor to do a proper fix ,suggest a NEW CLUTCH ASSEMBLY, Including release and spigot/flywheel bearings,a good idea to pop the inside seal out of the flywheel bearing and fill with grease then refit the shield this can be done if you are carefull also you can buy a clutch release bearing that is designed to run constantly that is if you neglect the clutch freeplay at any time.
Got to go we are at the beginning of a severe winter storm and the lightning may FRY my Puter .
Regards .
Hutch.

/ MF 35 Sticks In Gear #12  
G.Day Massey WV.
Sorry but as I said think about the GEARLEVERS,High/Low range the GEAR LEVER GOES TO THE REAR OF THE TRACTOR TO SELECT HIGH RANGE Which means the selector will travel FORWARD.
first /reverse gear on the gearstick is to the drivers left and either forward or back which means the gearstick will contact the selector in the CENTRE.
happy days.
Hutch.
P.S.
Still fixing them for a living.

/ MF 35 Sticks In Gear #13  
Massey WV. Need to make a small correction, left side shift rail is 2nd-3rd and center is Reverse-1st. When shift knob moves left the fork ball moves right and vise-versa.

MasseyWV .
Excellent pictures but the arrows are all wrong, Think where the gearstick would be?.:thumbsup:

Oops, you guys are right. The shift forks move in the opposite direction of the shift lever and the gear shift lever crosses. I was still half asleep and hadn't had my coffee yet, plus my wife is in the hospital so my mind is elsewhere right now. I fixed it and it should be right now. :confused2:

Last edited:
   / MF 35 Sticks In Gear #14  
G'day I think Hutch has hit the nail on the head it is either clutch adjustment or bad clutch/spigot as the OP said it will lurch fwd if it pops into 1st. I would start by making sure adj is right and if so then he will have to dig a bit deeper.

Jon

/ MF 35 Sticks In Gear
Thanks guys for all your help. I'm going to be printing this off to take with me to a local mechanic today who originally looked at the problem. Hopefully between the 2 ideas here, we can figure out the exact problem. Cheers!:thumbsup:
P.S. Clutch adjustment has already been tried to no effect.

/ MF 35 Sticks In Gear #16  
Hi Moxxy.
I would double check the pto clutch clearance before splitting the tractor standard setting is 90 thou but if like you are having trouble you can adjust down to 70 thou.
Regards
Hutch.

/ MF 35 Sticks In Gear
Ahoy shona13, MasseyWV and banjodunn: Time flies when you're having fun! Finally got the MF 35 torn in half and took the clutch assembly off to find that once upon a time, somebody packed the clutch release bearing with white grease! The white grease of course, now resembled white clay and was so, so stiff and hard as to be more like thread lock than grease! Don't know who did it or why as it was well before my time. Too bad too, as the clutch was in perfect shape. Just had to replace the bearing and put it all back together again and she's running good as new!
Just wanted to let you all know how things turned out and thank you all again for your help and ideas! Cheers!!