Confusion about tire size on a Massey 240??? Help please

/ Confusion about tire size on a Massey 240??? Help please #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I just bought a Massey Ferguson 240 diesel (2 WD), mid 1980's, which has 14.9 x 24" tires. All things I read about this model says it should have 13.6 x 28" tires. I wonder if the tires and rims I have were stock, or if they were added in the past. I plan to restore the tractor and want to make sure the tires are appropriate. I did not notice this glitch until I bought it.

To complicate matters, I have a new set of 13.6 X28 Firestones R1 that I hoped to use until I realized they are the wrong size for my rims. Yet they are what seems to be the factory size. So if I get new tires on this tractor, I either need to buy a set of 14.9 x 24" tires and use my old rims or buy a set of 13.6 X 28 centers and rims, and use the new tires I have. Either way is going to cost me some bucks.

My question is what tire sizes are on other MF 240's, and do some have the 24" rim or was this added to my tractor in the past.

If I was going to spend money, I want to put whats best on it. What would be advantages or disadvantages of either? The fronts have the correct 6.00 x 16 ribbed.

Any insight or comments would be helpful!!

/ Confusion about tire size on a Massey 240??? Help please
here are some pix. Do these tires look appropriate??

Attachments

• IMG_9042.jpg
    IMG_9042.jpg
    845.6 KB · Views: 2,001
  • IMG_9043.jpg
    IMG_9043.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,646
  • IMG_9045.jpg
    IMG_9045.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,942
   / Confusion about tire size on a Massey 240??? Help please #3  
here are some pix. Do these tires look appropriate??

14.9x24 have a 22.4 inch load radius, 13.6x28 have a 23.6 inch load radius, slightly taller, and is size used on most tractors like yours. 24 inch is used more on industrial models, but some ag tractors did use them too. If your present wheels are good maybe sell or trade your new tires to get the size you need, would save finding wheels and centers to fit your new tires.

/ Confusion about tire size on a Massey 240??? Help please
Thanks! What is the significance of load radius?

I priced a set of Firestones in the 24" size and they are $1139 a pair. Ouch! I only spent $675 for my 13.6 x 28 tires, so really hate to not use them. I am leaning towards getting new rims and centers and going back to whats supposed to be on the Massey, and trying to sell the complete wheels and used tires in the 24" size.

I suppose my choices are to sell the 28" Firestones and get new 24" tires, or get new wheels in 28". It's going to cost about the same either way (unless I can sell the Firestones for more than I paid for them) Not sure what I could get for them around here.

If given a choice, what size would you rather have on this Massey?

/ Confusion about tire size on a Massey 240??? Help please #5  
Have a TO-35 diesel that has 11.2x28 on it, parts book does show 24 inch wheels were used also. Have not looked at mf 240 parts list to see if they had the same choice. Which size do you prefer, either would look fine to me.

/ Confusion about tire size on a Massey 240??? Help please #6  
I would be interested in your tires and rims on your Massey if you are interested in selling them.