TO35 steering leakage

/ TO35 steering leakage #11  
View attachment 277537

i didn't have a manual with me at the time.. didn't know if it shared any of the early ferguson design from the 9n/2n.. from llooking at the diagram it's a closed sump though. thus shouldn't be making oil to leak at the top.. though could be colelcting water I guess..

That's a good thought . I only started covering my tractor about 2 years ago, and water could be floating the lube out of the steering box. No wonder the steering gets stiff !

/ TO35 steering leakage #12  
yup.....

/ TO35 steering leakage #13  
So- my TO 35 has been steering fine until now - the cooler weather (0degF) has limited my steering to right turn only. I also noticed oil leakage from steering column. I found, upon studying the parts diagram, that the ball nut travels downward on left turns. I surmised that there may be water displacing oil in the closed gear case, & upon freezing- limited the turns to the position it was parked when warm, then only to the right from there. Not finding a drain hole, I used the cast boss on the LH side of the gearbox, down low, but still above the mounting flange, Drilled a hole into the gearbox with an "R" drill, immediately tapping 1/8" pipe threads, allowing the water, then oil to flush the cuttings out of the hole. I let it drain overnight, then forced EP023 grease into the hole & put a pipe plug in before much grease forced itself back out. A couple of things worth noting- I don't think the case drained completely because I probed the hole with a pick and could angle downward with the tip in the hole, also, I did not know the fill capacity, so I used the capacity of my grease gun shaped suction gun, to deliver the contents into the hole. So far none has run out of the top, but until I remove the battery box it will have to suffice. Did take pix so if anyone wants to emulate the fast fix, then I suppose I could post them.

/ TO35 steering leakage #14  
what grease did you pack it with? something thin i hope?

/ TO35 steering leakage #15  
Packed W/ Mobil EP023 which is "0" weight grease, semi fluid.

/ TO35 steering leakage #16  
cool, 0ep is a good 'next best substitute' lube for steering boxes.