TO35 steering leakage

/ TO35 steering leakage #1  

Clava

Tractor
TO35 Massey-Ferguson
I have a 1955 TO35 which has started leaking steering gear oil out the top of the steering housing(tube) under the steering wheel. It does not have power steering. I had to destroy the steering wheel to get it off. Was going to replace the top seal. Went to the MF dealer and they don't have the seal in stock. Someone there suggested replacing the steering lube with zero viscosity corn head grease. I plan on tryin this but don't see where to drain the old lube and where to refill. I have a service book I got at TSC. It speaks of rebuilding the steering gear and refilling it, but doesn't show where or how. Can anyone help me on this?
Thanks so much.

/ TO35 steering leakage #2  
i've rebuilt alot of steering boxes on alot of different tractors..... but havn't had my hands on a fergy past the ones that have steering like a 9n/2n. if hte 35 has a seperate box like an 8n, then you may have to pull whatever it has for a sector cover off to clean it out.

post a diagram of the steering box and I can give you pointers.. many times those dual sector steering boxes just use some sort of worm gear setup and a couple thrust bearings.. some bushings and sector seals. not much to them... I've rebuilt dozens on ford tractors...

/ TO35 steering leakage #3  
Unfortunately, there isn't a plug to drain out the old lube, you have to take the steering box apart and remove the old lube, the hard way. Cornhead grease will work just fine. Your steering box should resemble mine, shown below.

o6jgh5.jpg

/ TO35 steering leakage
Thanks for the replys. I did find the fill plug on top of the steering housing. I have used a hand pump with a small tube to pull on about 8 oz of steering lube. Will continue to try and get more out. After I do this I plan on pumping in the corn head grease with a grease gun. Do you think this will work. Do think I can get enough of the old lube out this way?
Has anyone had a tractor to leak steering lube out the top?
Thanks!

/ TO35 steering leakage #5  
the heavier grease will make the lighter gear oil float and be pushed out as you fill with grease.

oil out the top tells me the box may have been full or had water in it displacing the oil..

/ TO35 steering leakage #6  
G,Day
The Lube you mention is most likely grease overgreasing is common with the Masseys I think it is because when you are driving the tractor all day and you see the grease nipple the first thing you do when refueling is to pump grease in there till it squirts out everywhere,don,t grease the steering column bearing one shot per year is enough.
Hutch.

/ TO35 steering leakage #7  
My 1955 Ferguson TO-35 also pushes lube oil out the top of the steering shaft housing once in a while. It's odd, since in 36 years I've never added steering lube. I wonder if transmission fluid can get up there ? Perhaps there's a transmission vent that's plugged. My solution so far has been to ignore the problem. Sometimes, however, after the tractor has sat for a couple of months without use, the steering is stiff until the steering wheel is turned back and forth a couple of times. The steering fluid leak is still a low priority, since I now have a blown head gasket to repair on the Z-134 Continental gas engine.

/ TO35 steering leakage #8  
i don't have a to35 svc manual.. but if it uses the setup like the 2n does.. it's a splash lube setup from the tranny.. may have a grease zerk at the top hub.. may not..

/ TO35 steering leakage #9  
G,Day Mr sound guy .
No there aint no splash lube on the massey !!!.
Hutch.

/ TO35 steering leakage #10  
35steer.jpg
G,Day Mr sound guy .
No there aint no splash lube on the massey !!!.
Hutch.

i didn't have a manual with me at the time.. didn't know if it shared any of the early ferguson design from the 9n/2n.. from llooking at the diagram it's a closed sump though. thus shouldn't be making oil to leak at the top.. though could be colelcting water I guess..