MF 165...got it started now it won't accelerate

/ MF 165...got it started now it won't accelerate #1  

j1mmyl

Tractor
Massey Freguson 165
Finally got my MF 165 started...now when I start it it revs up high then back down to idle...idles OK but when I give it fuel (diesel) it just stays idling...doesn't accelerate.

/ MF 165...got it started now it won't accelerate #2  
The metering valve is sticking causing governor control loss. Can try to free up by unhooking stop lever cable so you can control it by hand. Start engine, try to get it to 1700-2000 RPM with throttle lever, then move stop lever toward off then on again. May take several tries but I have freed up some this way, governor spring should turn fuel on, stop bar pushes valve off. If this does not work and pump has had water in fuel pump will have to come apart for a complete cleaning. Just did one for my brother's 1130, valve and plungers were stuck in that one but complete teardown and cleaning got it working again.

/ MF 165...got it started now it won't accelerate
Thanks Dieseltech...that is exactly what it took.

/ MF 165...got it started now it won't accelerate #4  
Unfortunately I tried this many times and it didn't work for me. I have never taken a pump apart to clean it. Is there a manual out there I can get that will provide me step by step instructions? I surely don't want to mess it up and have to buy another one. Thanks for anyone who can help.

/ MF 165...got it started now it won't accelerate #5  
If you like give me a call, 574 893 4172, after 7 PM is best. Be glad to talk to you about repairing your pump, I have the tools needed to get it working again. Just mailed one back to New Jersey that had the same trouble.