MF 50A with AD4-203 diesel will not start after injector pump rebuild

/ MF 50A with AD4-203 diesel will not start after injector pump rebuild #1  
C

CLIFFF

I had the CAV pump rebuilt after problems with contaminated fuel. When removing old pump I failed to scribe matching mark on timing gear case cover. I have reinstalled pump but engine will not start. I have bled all lines and am getting a large amount of soot and black smoke out of the exhaust which indicates to me that fuel is getting into cylinders. In fact engine fires and spins up but won:t quite run. I suspect timing issues. My manual from the dealership does not have any info on removing, installing or timing the pump.. I have a manual (ITC) that says to align a mark (the letter E) with a snap ring under inspection plate on side of pump. This is to be done with #1 cylinder at TDC and after aligning a timing mark (spill 18) on the flywheel with the center of the inspection hole in bell housing. My flywheel has marks indicating 20, 24 and 28 degrees presumably before TDC. Should I extrapolate to estimate where 18 degrees TDC? Also what is the procedure ensure cyl. 1 is TDC? Anybody got a source of better info on the Net? Thanks for any help.

/ MF 50A with AD4-203 diesel will not start after injector pump rebuild #2  
This is a 4 stroke engine and it fires every other rev so it's at TDC at the top of compression stroke AND the top of the exhaust stroke. It needs to be timed on the compresson stroke. The easiest way I know of to find TDC on the compression stroke is to remove the valve cover and look for the point where #1 intake and exhaust valves are both just closed. Then you are on the compression stroke. Now look at your flywheel inicator and see where you are at if you ahead of the timing mark. Then using a wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt move to the correct timing point.Then look at your marks for the pump drive. Another way is to remove the #1 injector and hold you thumb over the injector port while you tap the starter. When you feel pressure on your thumb, your on the compression stroke.

If you need to be at 18ï½°, measure the distance between the 20° and 24° marks and divide that in half and then use a scratch awl to mark 18° on the other side of 20°.

/ MF 50A with AD4-203 diesel will not start after injector pump rebuild
Thankyou Jerry for the quick reply. Much appreciated. Cliff