Massey Ferguson 3165 Backhoe Won't Start

/ Massey Ferguson 3165 Backhoe Won't Start #1  

Clint82

Tractor
Case 580 CK
Hi,

I have a 1967ish 3165 Massey Ferguson 4 cylinder diesel tractor that is currently not running. It has 11xxx hours on it and am positive it is a fuel issue. It will start and run with a shot of starter fluid. I did it for about 5 seconds just to see if it would run. The lines and tank were lined with a tar like junk and I have cleaned the tank and lines and have replaced the filters and fuel pump. It still will not start. I have taken the injector feed lines off and found there is no fuel coming out of the rear of the pump and up to the injectors. So I fear the injector pump is full of trash as well. I know the pump is timed and before I take it off, I would like to know where the reference/timing marks are for assembly purposes. Any reference material or pictures would be great. I do not have access to manuals and no one I know wants to mess with this. I am contemplating tearing it apart myself or paying to have it serviced. Is this something I should tackle, or pay the pros for? I am mechanically inclined, just not experienced with diesels.

Any suggestions or sites with reference materials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clint

100_6870.JPG

100_6871.JPG

100_6868.JPG

100_6869.JPG

/ Massey Ferguson 3165 Backhoe Won't Start #2  
You have two issues to fix, one is the black tar substance in your fuel system, the other is you now have air in the fuel lines. Diesels cannot start with air in the lines. If the black tar found its way to the injectors they won't work. There is a step by step method to bleed the air out, with a manual or some research you should find it for your model. The basic method is to work your way from the tank to the injectors and open one line at a time while cranking the engine. Some tractors have a priming lever to help with this. Once you get good fuel flow from the pump you then crack open each injector line while cranking engine and bleed the air out. Sometimes it will start and barely run on one or two cylinders, just keep cracking lines open till it runs clear. Whatever you do don't take the injector pump apart, you will never get it back together.