Massey Ferguson 188 Lift and PTO Problem

/ Massey Ferguson 188 Lift and PTO Problem #1  

Hunt

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 188 & 399
I have a MF 188 that was refurbished in 1984 with the Massey Roc program see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNoKfJ1jg_0 . It is an 8 speed with an independent PTO .
The PTO brake will not stop the PTO when disengaged.
The problem I am having is the lift (3 point linkage) will not lift until the PTO is turning. The PTO keeps stopping turning say every 10 turns and stops for a few seconds and starts again.
Any ideas whats up? Thanks

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 188 Lift and PTO Problem #2  
G.Day Hunt
The 188 independent pto had modifications done under warranty the oil bleed hole to the pto brake was drilled out but i dont remember the size it was drilled out to., if the pto is working correctly it should take approx 3/5 seconds to stop.
first problem could be caused by the pto brake piston being tight or seized and possibly the seal has gone also the brake pad has a sintered bronze coating to make it last longer this could be worn off.
The pto unit pivots on the pto clutch hub and the brake to clutch has steel sealing rings that seal both together there may be a broken ring is so this could starve the clutch of oil.
If you give as much information as you can it will be easier to try and diagnose the problem .
Things like is there any implements on the tractor or a loader, is there a hydrauilic selector valve the one under the seat that is push pull to change??????.

Regards
Hutch.

/ Massey Ferguson 188 Lift and PTO Problem
Thanks for the info Hutch. It turned out the problem with the hydraulics was the PTO clutch was gone. I put a full clutch kit into it and I'm back in action. I will have to get the PTO brake sorted during the winter. Thanks again