4 ring or 5 ring piston...does it matter on rebuild of AD3-152?

/ 4 ring or 5 ring piston...does it matter on rebuild of AD3-152? #1  

Rford

Gold Member
Tractor
1966 Ford 2000 Diesel 8sp
Called the MF dealership to talk about inframe rebuild kits and the salesman talked me out of ordering OE Perkins in lieu of a PowerMax kit. It was $320, arrived in a couple of days, and it looks like it is all there, in fact, it looks to me like they sent me two extra sets of main bearings.

I have the odd-ball CE22666 build no. engine but the PowerMax manual had this listed. I noticed right off that the new pistons are 5 ring, not 4 ring. The pistons are the correct size but they have an extra oil ring below the wrist pin. The service manual shows 5 rings and not 4 and even mentions the extra ring as "Maxigroove" oil ring. So I'm thinking 4 rings or 5 is not important, probably an upgrade from 4 to 5 at one time.

Any experts on the "Maxigroove" oil ring out there? Would this cause anyone a concern?

/ 4 ring or 5 ring piston...does it matter on rebuild of AD3-152? #2  
Most naturally aspirated Perkins used 5 ring pistons, turbocharged used 4 rings, you should be OK with what you have, 5th ring helps oil control.

/ 4 ring or 5 ring piston...does it matter on rebuild of AD3-152?
Thanks...oil control will be good...it had major blow-by and oil shooting out of everywhere before the teardown....