Report on PowerMax kit Perkins 152

/ Report on PowerMax kit Perkins 152 #11  
Glad it worked out, did you take any pics that you can post of your progress through the project?

Fridge full of beer is always a good thing, can turn a productive day into a spectator sport when friends pop by but a sport nonetheless.

/ Report on PowerMax kit Perkins 152 #12  
Got everything buttoned up tonight and, to my great surprise, it started right up. Had one small leak at an injector that I'll fix but other than that I think I'm good to go, no funny noises and it purred. Of course it might fly apart later.

The smartest thing I did on this whole project was taking a bunch of pictures before I started and printing them out to use for reference. The dumbest thing was not pulling the engine and bringing it home to rebuild in the garage where I'd have a refrigerator full of beer. You can't really do a in-frame rebuild because you can't get to two of the mains without pulling the engine, even though the in-frame kit comes with the mains.
I like your thread on this teardown and rebuild. Not alot of talk about the weather, manuals, etc. Just info on what you did. Good job. Hopefully we'll see some of those pictures of you as you ice those sleeves. Thanks for sharing. -robert

/ Report on PowerMax kit Perkins 152
I like your thread on this teardown and rebuild. Not alot of talk about the weather, manuals, etc. Just info on what you did. Good job. Hopefully we'll see some of those pictures of you as you ice those sleeves. Thanks for sharing. -robert

Sorry, no pictures to post. I'm going to head out this afternoon and start putting on the accessories and maybe will get to the front end. My guess is getting the front end back on will be harder than getting it off. The front axle assemby is like trying to dance with a frog...pretty loosey goosey. I tried to jam some wedges in there per the book but that didn't help much...its got a bunch of extra weight too because of the loader bracket. Need to get my kid out there for a little extra muscle....

Got the front axle/radiator back on. It was clumsy and heavy. Probably really a two man job or easy with a cherry picker. A real long bolt, 9 inches or so, would have been useful in aligning and pulling the front to the pan. I ran into a little issue because of the top radiator hose was holding me up as was the fan belt. Should have left the belt loose. I just used my floor jack and jimmied it into place. It took some time, but I felt luck to get it done by myself.

I would have been better off if, after I started the motor to make sure it ran, to take off the gas tank again while putting on the front axle. It was in the way some and made it harder to hook up the top hose.

Got everything but the sheet metal on and started it up after filling the radiator with water. No leaks. All Good. Ran it up to the hydrant to wash some dirt off the radiator and as I got off it died. "Great....what now?" is what I was thinking....turned out I'd forgot to turn on the fuel at the tank. Easy fix. Back in business. Called it a day.

Here's a tip - if you have a front end loader with a front-pulley shaft driven pump, it is a lot easier to bolt up the flange to the pulley as you are putting the front axle back on and not after...I figured there would be plenty of room to hook it up and didn't really think about it...so instead of taking about 3 minutes to hook it up,it took an hour and was very,very close quarters. It would almost have been easier to loosen up the front axle and back it off a couple of inches.

Took the tractor out today for some tilling. It ran great, no issues. I ran it at different engine speeds per the manual's break-in procedure, couldn't really put it under much of a load with a tiller, though. It has so much more power running on 3 good cylinders...It was really dry and dusty and everything got covered in fine dirt so it allowed me to check for leaks of fuel or oil. Nothing seen. I would not hesitate to do this job again, it really wasn't difficult even in rather primitive conditions. Like I said in an earlier post, and as someone suggested, it probably is just about as easy to take the engine out rather than doing an in-frame rebuild. Also, while I could have spent a lot more money, my problem was blow-by caused by dusting the engine due to a compromised air intake system. I didn't feel compelled to rework the head. I did replace all the radiator hoses and thermostat while I had it apart. Making sure the air filter system is working is tops on my list now so I don't dust the engine again.