MF 150 diff

/ MF 150 diff #1  

EKUgrad

Bronze Member
Huh. Watching dad bush hog a little, he dropped a wheel over a hidden stump, started spinning. Going slow, in low 1. Hit the diff pedal, clunk-clunk-clunk -- not terribly loud, but there -- then nothing. Had to pull the diff pedal up manually. Now nothing. Just bought the tractor a month ago so I know little history other than it looks pretty good. What are the odds that someone has stripped the teeth on the diff lock? It's my understanding that you have to split the tractor in two to figure it out -- more of a job than I'm up to. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks fellas.

/ MF 150 diff #2  
G,Day EKU grad.
The mf 150 has a protective SHEAR TUBE in the final drive housing ,if you remove the right hand side sideplate ,the one with the transmission dipstick and get a flashlight and a mirror look up inside about directly above the hole you will see a shaft with a sleeve attached ,the sleeve has a groove machined in it ,this is the WEAK POINT on the tube if you can see that it is broken you will have to remove the lift cover to replace .
Happy Days .
Hutch.

/ MF 150 diff
Thank you -- you've been a great help with both questions!!! I'm pulling it this weekend and keeping my fingers crossed.