Stuck. Need a new perkins crankshaft pulley retaining bolt, cannot find one...

/ Stuck. Need a new perkins crankshaft pulley retaining bolt, cannot find one... #1  

bsbrum

Silver Member
Tractor
1959 MF 65
Hey all-

I have been trying to get the front loader mounted on my '59 MF65 for a while now. I am stuck with trying to get the hydraulic pump adapter plate mounted correctly.

The short story is that I finally broke down and ordered a new pulley (with the holes) and a new adapter plate (not bent), BUT my retaining bolt is too big - it is the "jaw" type for a receiving a hand crank. I need the flat version, but I cannot find anyone who carries these bolts.

Anyone have a solid lead for me to locate one? Pic below (snapped from AGCO manual):

Screen Shot 2012-07-23 at 9.09.59 PM.png

Many thanks, some in advance ... the rest paid on receipt. ;-)

/ Stuck. Need a new perkins crankshaft pulley retaining bolt, cannot find one...
I might have cracked the code ... I found a Perkins part number 32162316 - but the one I found listed in a parts catalog was $50. I am almost spending more on the connecting hardware than I did on the loader itself. ;-(

/ Stuck. Need a new perkins crankshaft pulley retaining bolt, cannot find one... #3  
Do you have a Fastenal near..?? Maybe they can match you up with something.

If not, found one here for a lot less than $50.00. Jacks Small Engines Search

Note the superceded part number, if you want to look elsewhere.

/ Stuck. Need a new perkins crankshaft pulley retaining bolt, cannot find one...
Do you have a Fastenal near..?? Maybe they can match you up with something.

If not, found one here for a lot less than $50.00. Jacks Small Engines Search

Note the superceded part number, if you want to look elsewhere.

Once more, DJ54, you save the day! :) Many, many thanks!

/ Stuck. Need a new perkins crankshaft pulley retaining bolt, cannot find one... #5  
As Grandpa use to say... " A blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.." LOL....

Trying to get this FEL mounted has been a real learning experience.

After spending $120 to get the drive rod machined, I didn't want to have to spend another $175+ for a new pulley and possibly adapter plate.

I did successfully drill and tap my pulley, and discovered that the adapter plate needs to sit down into a recess on the pulley, so I successfully milled my pulley with my mini-lathe (with 1/32" clearance - the pulley is basically the exact size of the maximum throw on my lathe!), and got my adapter plate set down into the pulley, and then found: 1. that the "jaw" bolt was too big, and 2. that my adapter plate seems to be bent - as it throws the rod in an elliptical - it doesn't spin true. UGH!

So I broke down Sunday night and ordered a new pulley and new adapter plate, and the bolt was the only missing piece of the puzzle that I hadn't cracked.

My thanks is understated, you really helped me out, and I am deeply grateful - it's like seeing that hand come down to help pull you up the bank after you just slogged 2 miles in a muddy creek bed. Or something like that. :)

My adapter plate arrives today, and I found a Fastenal in town (I didn't know was there), so I'll see if I can get by with my original/modified pulley. Maybe I can save $90 on this project, for a change.

Okay ... Fastenal helped me replace one of the missing front-end mounting bolts, but they crapped-out on the crank pulley bolt. The closest thing they had, which was 15mm longer than the original, was coming up at $44. I just placed my order with Jack's.

DJ54-

Jack's came through. Their bolt was a little too long, but I hacked it down to size, and I was in business.

I could just fit the pulley on my lathe, and was able to mill out the pocket to recess the pump drive adapter plate. I re-drilled the holes on my press, tapped 'em ... and then after reassembling the whole front end, and trying to test drive her, the rear pivot pin on the axle gimbal slid back and hit the bolt heads on the adapter plate.

I then discovered that the retaining plate on the front of the tractor that bolts into the front pivot pin, was not tight, because the bolts were not in all the way, and had become gored pretty badly. I re-tapped the holes, and ran a die over the bolts, and everything snugged up nice - AND not more slop.

Attached is a pic of her once I ran her around the yard, and then took the opportunity to show my oldest son how to drive her... we're all pretty new to this tractor thing. :)

IMG_3036.jpg

Next step is mounting up the frontend loader! Should be a similar "roller coaster" experience.

/ Stuck. Need a new perkins crankshaft pulley retaining bolt, cannot find one... #9  
Hi bsbrum.
Can I ask why you need to put a pump on the front of the tractor when there is a hydraulic pump already in the gearbox which with a selector valve and a couple of hoses will connect to your loader ???????????????.
Happy days .

Hutch.

Hi bsbrum.
Can I ask why you need to put a pump on the front of the tractor when there is a hydraulic pump already in the gearbox which with a selector valve and a couple of hoses will connect to your loader ???????????????.
Happy days .

Hutch.

Hutch - that's a fair question. Most of what I've read suggests that the tractor's pump is not quite up to providing the necessary GPM flow needed to make the loader responsive. The aux pump puts out about 3x what the MF65 can, and it's a self contained unit. Unbolt the pump, pop 4 pins, and I can drop the bucket and arms without too much hassle.

In reality, it's up in the air. I probably could have tapped the 65's case and run the loaded at a tolerable rate, but this is the path I chose.

For what it's worth, I got it all rigged last night, at least the pump side of things. I got the adapter and brackets all linked up - trying to avoid any more surprises, and found that my key is too big, but the shaft spins true and is a perfect length.

Now it's just getting the fender bolts and nuts broken free so I can bolt-up the rear brackets, then dumping the gallons of fluid back in the reservoir and going from there.