Online MF serial number reference list?

/ Online MF serial number reference list? #1  

timbersnowman

Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF35 & MF40B
Hello, I'm new around here.

I have a 1961 MF35, and what I believe is an early '80s MF 40B Industrial Tractor-Loader-Backhoe.

I'm looking at an ad for another tractor that I might want to buy for parts. The owner posted the serial number, but doesn't seem sure about the model number. It would be nice to research the serial number to figure out what exactly it is before taking a long drive to look at it.

I have not had much luck finding an online list of serial numbers with corresponding production dates. Is there a reason why this information is "secret"? Is there such a reference available online somewhere? Is there anyone out there who has access to such information and would be willing to publish it?

Thanks!

/ Online MF serial number reference list?
tractordata.com does have a whole lot of good specs on the MF40B, but unfortunately, the Serial Numbers section says, "Serial numbers unknown". :(

Thanks! However, Yesterday's Tractors doesn't list the 40B tractor. Not old enough, I guess.

/ Online MF serial number reference list? #6  
Thanks! However, Yesterday's Tractors doesn't list the 40B tractor. Not old enough, I guess.

They made that model up thru 1990, so I've read. I did some searching around and found a few serial numbers with dates.

9A277611 1977
9A007662 1969

It seems they didn't keep good records on that model. Maybe because it was sold as a backhoe. :confused3:

/ Online MF serial number reference list? #7  
I'd find my nearest AGCO dealership and pose that question to them. They should have resources to track down the year for you using your serial number.

Yep, I'll probably have to do that for the short term. But I'm really interested in a list, just for ongoing historical research interest. :)

/ Online MF serial number reference list? #9  
timbersnowman said:
Yep, I'll probably have to do that for the short term. But I'm really interested in a list, just for ongoing historical research interest. :)

You could call AGCO USA corporate to see if such a database exist. may save you some legwork. is yours a four cylinder? they only made them with a Perkins up to a certain year.

Yeah, it has a Perkins 4 cylinder diesel. I'm not aware of another engine option for the 40B. My manual set only has refers to the Perkins.