Wiring Diagram

/ Wiring Diagram #1  

derrick1115

Tractor
MF 135
Can some tell exactly how to wire a mf 135 diesel tractor that has a alternator with two wires coming out of it. The wires burned into a couple of weeks ago and me and My dad tried wired it up and the battery won't charge. We put a new ammeter on it that came from tractor supply. Thought it might be the battery, so put a different battery on it and used the tractor to rake hay. Didn't use it for a for a few day went to get on it to move it and the battery was completely dead. Can anyone please tell me how to wire this tractor up step by step?

/ Wiring Diagram #2  
There are some variances depending on the alternator type, but assuming the alternator has a built-in regulator and only two wires coming out, the one terminal will probably be marked "B+". That will be the thicker wire running to the positive terminal of the battery, assuming a negative earth system. The other, thinner wire, will run to the charge indicating lamp, and the terminal on the alternator could be marked "IND". The other terminal on the indicator lamp will run to the ignition switch. If you repaired the wiring and the alternator isn't charging, it is probable that either the voltage regulator or the diodes were damaged.

/ Wiring Diagram
Could the wire for the battery run also to the starter instead of straight to the battery

/ Wiring Diagram #4  
Yes it could, but it should then be connected to the same terminal on the starter that the cable from the battery is connected to. Typically it would be on the starter solenoid. That terminal will always be "hot". Were the tractor converted from a generator to an alternator, or is the alternator original equipment?

/ Wiring Diagram
Yes it was converted from a generator to an alternator before we bought it several years back

/ Wiring Diagram
so can you tell me exactly how to connect it to the ammeter and so on. The alternator has two wires coming out of it. Which wire goes to the ammeter and what side which wire s go to the switch and so on

/ Wiring Diagram #7  
Ammeters are connected in series with the load, so you would install it in the line from the alternator to the battery using the same gauge wiring as that currently running from the alternator to the battery, or in your case from the alternator to the starter.

/ Wiring Diagram #8  
Hello Derrick. It's not as complicated as it sounds. Think of your tractor as one big electric circuit. The circuit has a positive side and a negative side. The ampmeter operates to measure current in that one big circuit. On the back of the ampmeter there is a + and - .. The + side goes to voltage. In the 135's case it's to the + on the starter solenoid. From the starter solenoid it travels to one of the wires on the neutral safety switch. Looking at the back of the ampmeter the - goes to the voltage regulator. Center wire I believe of the three wire terminals across. I'm assuming your voltage regulator is still there. One thing about using a ampmeter with an alternator. When you run your battery down, the alternator has more than 30 amp output while charging a dead or near dead battery. This overamperage when charging could damage your original ampmeter pegging it out. You might consider upgrading the ampmeter to a voltmeter. If your alternator has built in regulation, you can eliminate the voltage regulator. My :twocents:

/ Wiring Diagram #10  
Can some tell exactly how to wire a mf 135 diesel tractor that has a alternator with two wires coming out of it. The wires burned into a couple of weeks ago and me and My dad tried wired it up and the battery won't charge. We put a new ammeter on it that came from tractor supply. Thought it might be the battery, so put a different battery on it and used the tractor to rake hay. Didn't use it for a for a few day went to get on it to move it and the battery was completely dead. Can anyone please tell me how to wire this tractor up step by step?

When the tractor was rewired, was the oil pressure switch connected and/or working properly? Unlike the gasoline models, the key switch on the diesel Massey 135 tractors only controls the starter so the oil pressure switch is required to prevent the gauges from draining the battery when the tractor is not running.

I'll send you a PM with a wiring diagram which should help you verify that everything is wired correctly.