Need Clutch Help!

/ Need Clutch Help! #1  

cobraclay

Tractor
NA
Went to use my MF150 this weekend for some bush hog work, and it seemed as if the clutch was not working, I could get it into gear roughly while sitting still, but once moving it would not come out or if I could get it out roughly, it would just grind and would not go into another gear, I could get it to shift by putting the high low lever in neutral and then shift into a gear then I could manage to get the high low lever in, but it did not want to come out especially while moving. I have not had any problems in the few months that I have owned it, it is an older tractor and had sat for a while before I bought it and got it back up and running or at least that's what I was told. Like I said, it has worked fine for me with very hardly any grinding or problems shifting, the last time I used it, it did seem to grind a little more than usual, but still nothing that would cause me to think anything was real bad or the clutch was going out, I have definitely operated worst. It doesn't get much use, so I initially thought maybe it needed to warm up maybe, I am not a guru by any means on these things but I can manage my way around them, so I was hoping to get some pointers and things to look for, just tell me what info you need to know first and Ill get the info for you. Its a late 60's early 70's model MF 150 diesel 3spd with rev, H & L in each, it also had the multi power at one point but has not ever appeared to work for me. Thanks for any help you can be!

Clay

/ Need Clutch Help! #2  
Have you checked the clutch pedal free play measurement & adjusted (if required) per your owner's manual yet? That's where I'd start. Cheap and easy - like me.

/ Need Clutch Help! #3  
Went to use my MF150 this weekend for some bush hog work, and it seemed as if the clutch was not working, I could get it into gear roughly while sitting still, but once moving it would not come out or if I could get it out roughly, it would just grind and would not go into another gear, I could get it to shift by putting the high low lever in neutral and then shift into a gear then I could manage to get the high low lever in, but it did not want to come out especially while moving. I have not had any problems in the few months that I have owned it, it is an older tractor and had sat for a while before I bought it and got it back up and running or at least that's what I was told. Like I said, it has worked fine for me with very hardly any grinding or problems shifting, the last time I used it, it did seem to grind a little more than usual, but still nothing that would cause me to think anything was real bad or the clutch was going out, I have definitely operated worst. It doesn't get much use, so I initially thought maybe it needed to warm up maybe, I am not a guru by any means on these things but I can manage my way around them, so I was hoping to get some pointers and things to look for, just tell me what info you need to know first and Ill get the info for you. Its a late 60's early 70's model MF 150 diesel 3spd with rev, H & L in each, it also had the multi power at one point but has not ever appeared to work for me. Thanks for any help you can be!

Clay
Since I have never done this, here is a link describing how to get your tractor out of gear. Then you can proceed to adjust the clutch per manual specs.

Go here: Massey Ferguson 150 stuck in gear

/ Need Clutch Help! #4  

Clay

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Massey 150 has a non-synchronized transmission which means that shifting on the move does take a bit of practice to avoid grinding gears, but since you didn't seem to have problems operating it previously and are having problems getting it into gear while sitting still, I agree that it sounds as if the clutch might need adjusted. It's also possible that the clutch could be sticking since it sat for a long time before you got it. In addition, there's a small chance that the shift forks could be worn, but I doubt that's the problem.

/ Need Clutch Help!
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Massey 150 has a non-synchronized transmission which means that shifting on the move does take a bit of practice to avoid grinding gears, but since you didn't seem to have problems operating it previously and are having problems getting it into gear while sitting still, I agree that it sounds as if the clutch might need adjusted. It's also possible that the clutch could be sticking since it sat for a long time before you got it. In addition, there's a small chance that the shift forks could be worn, but I doubt that's the problem.

Yeah, it has sat in the weather for several months, and Im sure that may have something to do with it, although she is no beauty queen, she has been very solid for me, and doesnt seem to have been mechanically abused. Is not a leaker, just mainly needed cosmetics which I wasnt worried about, so Im hoping this will be something I can work on without having to bust it apart or do any kind of major surgery on it. If it is just sticking from sitting, what is the best way to fix this problem? Also I have not ordered a shop manual for it, would Tractor supply have the right book Id need to be able to adjust the clutch properly, or is there a pdf file someone wouldnt mind posting with proper instructions on how to adjust it? Thanks for everyones input. Desperatley needing to get this thing going, my grass is getting pretty high now!

Clay

/ Need Clutch Help! #6  
Yeah, it has sat in the weather for several months, and Im sure that may have something to do with it, although she is no beauty queen, she has been very solid for me, and doesnt seem to have been mechanically abused. Is not a leaker, just mainly needed cosmetics which I wasnt worried about, so Im hoping this will be something I can work on without having to bust it apart or do any kind of major surgery on it. If it is just sticking from sitting, what is the best way to fix this problem? Also I have not ordered a shop manual for it, would Tractor supply have the right book Id need to be able to adjust the clutch properly, or is there a pdf file someone wouldnt mind posting with proper instructions on how to adjust it? Thanks for everyones input. Desperatley needing to get this thing going, my grass is getting pretty high now!

Clay

I'm dealing with a "situation" right now, but I'll try to give you a quick reply for now.

The best place to order a good OEM service manual is agcopubs.com and the procedure for adjusting the clutch isn't difficult but it can be a little tricky without the service manual. Alternatively, here is a link to a TBN post with a description of the procedure for adjusting the clutch. Specifically, the post contains an image of the clutch adjustment procedure which I believe originated from one of the CD's created and sold by the late Big Dean, a well known Massey Ferguson expert. Note that the instructions apply to both the Massey 135 and 150 tractors.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...26832-mf-135-clutch-question.html#post2861398

There are a number of different ways to free a sticking clutch, if indeed that turns out to be the problem. I haven't got a lot of time to type out a proper description right now, so here's a link to give you some ideas. BTW: My favorite method for freeing a clutch that only sticks occasionally is using carb cleaner spray followed by brake cleaner spray after the clutch is working properly.

Clutch - Methods to Free a Sticking One- by Lee Vermeiren & John Bower (tOTG)

/ Need Clutch Help! #7  
G,day cobraclay.
What most often happens especially with a tractor that sits out in the weather is the flywheel and the clutch cover get a little bit of rust on the surfaces and this makes the clutch hang on a bit ,provided the clutch has no oil on the linings from either a leaking rear engine crankshaft seal or a transmissoin input shaft seal start the engine and set the throttle about 1000 rpm select high range second gear ,foot on the clutch and slowly let the clutch out till it starts to pull and hold it there for 10 seconds ,do this half a dozen times and try the clutch, this normally works ,what you are doing is POLISHING the rust off the flywheel and the clutch cover, if it is still the same let me know and I will talk you through the clutch adjustment.
happy Days .
Hutch.

/ Need Clutch Help!
G,day cobraclay.
What most often happens especially with a tractor that sits out in the weather is the flywheel and the clutch cover get a little bit of rust on the surfaces and this makes the clutch hang on a bit ,provided the clutch has no oil on the linings from either a leaking rear engine crankshaft seal or a transmissoin input shaft seal start the engine and set the throttle about 1000 rpm select high range second gear ,foot on the clutch and slowly let the clutch out till it starts to pull and hold it there for 10 seconds ,do this half a dozen times and try the clutch, this normally works ,what you are doing is POLISHING the rust off the flywheel and the clutch cover, if it is still the same let me know and I will talk you through the clutch adjustment.
happy Days .
Hutch.

Hutch, maybe Im not understanding what you mean, but do I have to get the clutch unstuck first to do this polishing technique? I know it will only shift if I put the gear selector in a gear first, then I have to shift it in high or low, but this is not usually a smooth transition, and I usually have to use a little force to get the gear selector out of gear.

/ Need Clutch Help! #9  
G'day cobraclay.

A quick check of the transmission clutch clearance .

If you look at the clutch pedal and where it comes to rest on the footpeg ,it should have enough clearance to fit a finger between the pedal and the foot peg,that is the pedal should have Free play of about 3/8 ".
When this has ben checked and if it needs adjustment have a look at the clutch shaft and you will see a hole through the shaft I use a large philips head scrwedriver for no other reason that it is handy and easy to utilise, put the screwdriver through the hole then slowly loosen the clamp bolt that locks the pedal to the shaft,not to loose you want the pedal to stay where you put it ,with the pedal loosened of put the screwdriver in the hole from the top and pull towards the rear of the tractor with moderate force all you are doing is making sure the clutch release bearing is in contact with the clutch fingers,then holding it in this position adjust the clearance between the pedal and the stop to 3/8",still holding the screwdriver tighten the clamp bolt,tight.
When you have adjusted the clutch and it is still necessary to select gears the way you did before make sure the tractor is outside with plenty of room about it ,just for safety start the engine and set the hand throttle roughly 1000 rpm then select second High gear holding the clutch pedal down and apply the brakes as said before you are removing rust from the flywheel and the clutch cover, there is no need to be to violent with it just enough that you can feel the tractor pulling,

If after trying this for five minutes and there is no improvement let me know and we will go from there give as much information as possible even if it does not sound clutch related ,all information will help.

Regards .
Hutch.

/ Need Clutch Help! #10  
Did you fix your problem?? my 135 is the same way but has been since i got it in the spring, you have to have the hi low shifter in neutral to shift the 1,2,3,4 shifter then shift into high or low. If you have cured it i would love to know what you did, thanks.