Identifying my MF tractor

/ Identifying my MF tractor #1  

Eagles eye

Tractor
Massey 35
It's purchased a MF tractor from a guy who is moving. Don't know what year or what model it is. He said he thinks it's a mf50 about 62-64 year model. He got it with the farm when he purchased e land and has never used it. I did change the oil, turn over by hand and started. Is a 4 cylinder gas engine and appears to have a two speed pot. Any guidance?

/ Identifying my MF tractor #2  
It's purchased a MF tractor from a guy who is moving. Don't know what year or what model it is. He said he thinks it's a mf50 about 62-64 year model. He got it with the farm when he purchased e land and has never used it. I did change the oil, turn over by hand and started. Is a 4 cylinder gas engine and appears to have a two speed pot. Any guidance?
Post some picture of it here. I know we'd love to see them. If your thinking of using it on a regular basis you need to check all your fluids especially if it was parked outside. Water can contaminate the fluids from the smallest crevices. Being a four cyclinder it's a Continental engine. A very robust engine. Probably a Z134. They are sharp looking tractors restored. But do post some pictures. Take care. -robert

/ Identifying my MF tractor
The kid said:
Post some picture of it here. I know we'd love to see them. If your thinking of using it on a regular basis you need to check all your fluids especially if it was parked outside. Water can contaminate the fluids from the smallest crevices. Being a four cyclinder it's a Continental engine. A very robust engine. Probably a Z134. They are sharp looking tractors restored. But do post some pictures. Take care. -robert

Ok, I'll,take some pictures today. Thanks!

Attached are some pictures. Any ideas as to what I have?

Attachments

• image-1936483266.jpg
    image-1936483266.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 779
  • image-3248016359.jpg
    image-3248016359.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 629
  • image-3359093585.jpg
    image-3359093585.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 307
  • image-3379713253.jpg
    image-3379713253.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 511
  • image-387274302.jpg
    image-387274302.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 394
  • image-1360798672.jpg
    image-1360798672.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 319
  • image-478817075.jpg
    image-478817075.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 307
   / Identifying my MF tractor #5  
That's a full instrument cluster so you have a Deluxe model (the Special model has fewer gauges).
That number you photographed is a part number, not the serial number. The S/N tag on my 1964 MF135 diesel Deluxe is located on the right part of the battery shelf.

Eagles eye said:

Where can I find the serial number to identify year model of this tractor ? Need a starter and some other misc parts.

/ Identifying my MF tractor #8  
Where can I find the serial number to identify year model of this tractor ? Need a starter and some other misc parts.

The member here "Farmswithjunk" posted this back in February of 2009

OK....First off, what you found is a PART # for part or casting where you found it....and that's MHF and not MHP, (as in Massey Harris Ferguson) All Massey part #'s end in M1 or M2 on those tractors. From the time Ferguson and Massey Harris began to merge in 1953, until the merger was complete in 1957, the company was known as Massey Harris Ferguson. Castings designed during that period will have MHF on them. Since the castings saw continued use after 1957, the MHF was still shown through the series change in 1964.

Serial # will be on a small metal plate, approx. 2" X 3", located on dash, next to steering column. If you see 4 small holes there, good chance someone removed the data plate already. To pinpoint year of model, you'll need that serial number.

The tractor is a Massey Ferguson 50, w/Z134 Continental gas engine. (32hp @ pto) The hood emblem indicates early model production. Those tractors were built from mid year 1957, until late year 1963 when the DX series (100 series) went into production. At that time, the 50 was replaced by the 150. The hood emblem was identical to your picture from model intro to sometime in 1960 when it was replaced with a 1 piece emblem/air intake.

Check carb brand. If it's a CARTER, you probably have a VERY early production run tractor (1957 to spring of '58) They switched to a MUCH better running MS carb after that. The Carter carb was also used on the Ferguson F40, the predicessor to the MF50.

I thought this might help get close to a date of your tractor. It is my understanding Farmswithjunk doesn't get on the forum as much as he used to and is dearly missed. He is a world of knowledge when it comes to Massey's Harris, and Fergusons. Here's what I would do. It may take some time but you will find one just like yours. As he mentioned there are key pieces on tractors that where either added or taken off which gives one clues as to it's age. Start with 1957 Massey Ferguson and Google pictures and look at them closely to see if they match key areas on your exactly. As FWJ said. The serial number is important to track the exact age.

/ Identifying my MF tractor #9  
Accidental posting.. Oopps

The kid said:
The member here "Farmswithjunk" posted this back in February of 2009

I thought this might help get close to a date of your tractor. It is my understanding Farmswithjunk doesn't get on the forum as much as he used to and is dearly missed. He is a world of knowledge when it comes to Massey's Harris, and Fergusons. Here's what I would do. It may take some time but you will find one just like yours. As he mentioned there are key pieces on tractors that where either added or taken off which gives one clues as to it's age. Start with 1957 Massey Ferguson and Google pictures and look at them closely to see if they match key areas on your exactly. As FWJ said. The serial number is important to track the exact age.

Thanks!! I'll do some more digging. I appreciate your help!