GC2310 Won't even turn over

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over #1  

newmexico

Tractor
Masey Ferguson GC 2310
Hey Guys,

Well fall is here and here we go again with issues. I tried starting the tractor this morning and nothing....checked battery all good, made sure gear was in neutral good. Even went as far as to see if the seat thing that prevents tractor from starting was working. NOTHING. Signals work. Then thought OK check starter. Took my tester put it into the two wires both have power even when key not turned thought this is good too. Then went to put tester on actual starter motor wire no power key is off GOOD. Then turned key put tester back still no power on the wire. Now there should be that would make the starter spin and in turn start tractor. It seems like maybe the shift thing that has turtle speed and fast in the middle has neutral...where is the wire that sends that signal where ever to prevent it starting in gear. I looked down that side near the tire and there is a small yellow wire hanging there, cannot seem to see where it goes....Does anybody know what else I should do...

Thanks

Paul

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over #2  
Make sure your pto is turned off. I know that sounds like a smart @$$ answer but i get calls on that all the time. If that is ok, I would check the neutral safety switch

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over
The PTO is in the off position.....

Where is this sensor????

Thanks

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over
Well I figured it out. I don't keep the key in the machine, and the plastic water protector that is over the key hole fell off years ago. I pulled the ignition switch and there was one wire that was completly rusted off its solder point. Re-soldered and away it went.

Thanks everyone....

Paul

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over #5  
Glad you got it running. Happy tractoring. :thumbsup:

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over #6  
My plastic cover also broke years ago.. for quite a while, I just popped the --now a separate piece-- cap over the top of the ignition switch.

Finally got a new one from my dealer...N/C!

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over #7  
Hey Paul,

I used my 2310 this morning. Shut it off for a few minutes and when I went to start it all it did was make a clicking sound. I put a charger on it thinking it could possibly be the battery but that made no difference. My next guess is the starter / solenoid. I have had issues with the starter switch in the past sticking in the start position but some WD40 seems to have stopped the sticking. Did yours make the clicking sound? Any other thoughts on what it might be? PTO is off.

CJ

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over #8  
In general, a "clicking" noise is the starter relay clicking in & out due to insufficient amperage (or voltage). Sounds like the key switch is working, but it's not getting sufficient power to keep the really and starter engaged.

That can be caused by a number of things. Sounds like you may have eliminated the battery, so that leaves the circuitry going to the starter or, as you mentioned, the starter itself and/or the relay.

One of the biggest culprits on 2310s is the ground strap; apparently they were a tad short in length on some of them, and natural vibrations from the engine would gradually crack the strands in the ground cable one by one. Eventually, the tractor wouldn't start, though all other electricals might work. That starter (any starter) requires a bunch of amps during starting; any weakness in the circuit and you have problems.

Yes, it could be the starter, but I'd check that ground cable first. It's on the lower left front of the tractor, going from the frame near the hood hinge to the engine block, just under the oil filter. All of the starter amperage must pass through that cable. It will TRY to go through other points if that cable is weak, but the other wires are not heavy enough to carry the load.

On my tractor, it was becoming more & more sluggish in starting, and I thought I needed a new battery. Eventually, however, the last strand in that ground cable broke and left me high & dry. Thanks to others' suggestions on this forum, I checked it out and sure enough, it was separated at the point of flexing due to engine vibration. I eventually added a second ground cable to the other side of the engine, just for insurance.

Try to eliminate the easy stuff first.

ground cable-broke!.JPG

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over #9  
Thanks for the advice. I checked the ground cable and it looks fine. I removed the starter and hooked it up to my battery charger and on boost the starter gear extended and it spun over just fine so now I'm thinking it's not the starter / solenoid but a failed switch (seat / neutral / PTO, ?) that is preventing the starter from working. It does act like that if I try start it and don't have it in neutral. BTW: I have a 86 Yamaha Maxim X and an 87 Kawasaki ZL600. Saw you had antique Japanese motorcycles...

/ GC2310 Won't even turn over #10  
Yep, I've got four, the newest being an '82 Yamaha Virago 750, a Canadian bike. All the others are old Hondas from 1970-1976. Just a hobby.

Guess the clicking you were hearing wasn't the starter relay but the electric fuel pump(?). Sorry, I misunderstood.

But yes, if that's all you hear, sounds like the starter switch circuit is the problem, which does include all the safety shut-offs -- under the seat, on the control levers, etc. I also know a number of folks have had issues with the starter switch itself. ijk