GC2600 Questions before purchasing used

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used #1  

prollynotjeff

Tractor
Kioti DK40SE
I have found a GC2600 with less than 120hrs for sale pretty local to me. I am going up saturday to look it over and bring it home if it was described correcrtly and the pictures represent the actual condition. Tonight when I talked to the guy he stated that when he was bringing firewood in today the brakes were soft and not stopping him well and thought they needed adjustment. Since these are wet disc can you adjust them or is this a bigger problem and I should just stay away all together?

Its a 2009 with a FEL with 115-120hrs

Thanks guys!

Feel free to post anything you might think I would find interesting about the GC2600.

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used #2  
Yes, they are wet.

Yes, you can adjust them some.

Being that it is a hydro, you don't use the brakes to stop. They are for holding position on an incline, and parking.

People have a tendency to drive these with the parking brake on. This can glaze the brake linings. That is probably what has happened. This reduces their effectiveness but usually still allows them to be used.

I do not know what a reline job would cost, if it is necessary. It's not going to be cheap.

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used
So it sounds like the problem is more with the Hydro drive system than the brakes. He stated it was having difficulty slowing down last night when getting wood. I imagine that pump and system is not cheap, hard to beleive it would have problems so new.

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used #4  
So it sounds like the problem is more with the Hydro drive system than the brakes. He stated it was having difficulty slowing down last night when getting wood. I imagine that pump and system is not cheap, hard to beleive it would have problems so new.

If the trans is the problem, it would be the first time I have heard of that.

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used #5  
I'm enclosing pictures of the park brake assembly.

The first is the adjuster. It's on the left side of the tractor in front of the rear tire. there is a nut on each side of the adjuster. you can see how many exposed threads I have on mine. That's a lot of adjustment room left in the brakes. If you look at the 2600 and there are no threads left, you can be relatively sure that the brakes are worn completely out. Requiring disassembly of the tranny to replace them.

Pic 2 is the park brake disengaged, and pic 3 is the park brake engaged and locked.

I hope these pics help.

Edit: to adjust the brake..........loosen both locking nuts a good bit.........then turn the collar in the direction that pulls the 2 rods together..........when you can lock the park brake, and have it hold on an incline.........retighten the nuts.

Attachments

• brake adjuster1.jpg
    brake adjuster1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 177
  • park brake disengaged1.jpg
    park brake disengaged1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 140
  • park brake engaged1.jpg
    park brake engaged1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 126
   / GC2600 Questions before purchasing used #6  
I don't believe that this would be a trans problem if that is the only problem he is having. I think that the brake just may need adjusted. Check how hard it is to lock the parking brake, there should be a fair amount of resistance.
1. Look under the machine very closely to see if there is any sign of leakage.
2. I am sure you will but will say it anyway, make sure you take it for a drive and try both pto's. If the machine looks well taken care of you are probably ok.
3. Check the hydro fluid through the clear glass to see if it is clear or discolored.
4. Check the oil level in the engine.
5. See if they have any of the maintenance records of this and where they bought it. You can always call the dealer to see if they had any issues with this unit.
Good luck.
I hope to read about you buying this awesome machine!
Craig

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used
Thanks for the pics and location Don!

Where is the sight glass located? I am sure I can find it when I get there but its good to know where all these things are before I get there.

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used #8  

Where is the sight glass located? I am sure I can find it when I get there but its good to know where all these things are before I get there.

Between the wheels, on the rear end. You can view it facing the back of the tractor.

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used #9  

Your more than welcome.

Take a small crescent wrench with you so you can adjust it and check it out. I don't want to see you sink a lot of money into a machine that was used improperly, and have to sink a bunch of money into it right away.

EDIT: And yes, I am saying he used the machine inproperly. There is no reason on the GC series to use the brake while decending a grade. If your foot is on the forward pedal, the speed of the tractor is controlled solely by that. I only use my brake for the final stop (the last foot or so), then lock it for parking.

/ GC2600 Questions before purchasing used #10  
if you look there is an adjustment rod on both sides of the tractor
it has only one pedal but its has brakes on both wheels