GC2310 with a 5' rototiller if I remove the outer tines?

/ GC2310 with a 5' rototiller if I remove the outer tines? #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
If I can get a used 5' rototiller for a good price, would it make sense to do so?
I have a GC2310.

Any reason I cannot (or should not) remove the outer tines from a 5' rototiller, effectively making it a smaller rototiller that my GC2310 would have an easier time handling? Has anyone here done this?

/ GC2310 with a 5' rototiller if I remove the outer tines? #2  
If I can get a used 5' rototiller for a good price, would it make sense to do so?
I have a GC2310.

Any reason I cannot (or should not) remove the outer tines from a 5' rototiller, effectively making it a smaller rototiller that my GC2310 would have an easier time handling? Has anyone here done this?

Yes... removing the two outer tines would take less power to till. I have a 48" Landpride and can till to max depth depending on soil conditions.. But needing the max depth is rare for me, so unless you need to do this, then keep your 5' and just don't till to max depth. BUT again, it also depends on WHAT you are tilling.... sand ? clay ? hard packed ? The biggest issue I have had with my tiller is weight. If the soil is really packed/hard it just skips/bounces on the soil. So it really depends on what you are tilling....

/ GC2310 with a 5' rototiller if I remove the outer tines? #3  
Also keep in mind, if it is an implement that was not made specifically for a sub compact tractor, there is a limit on how high your category 1 hitch can raise it. This may not be a problem with a tiller, provided your ground, and parking area are flat. But, it potentially could be.

Implements that are made specifically for subcompacts, consider these limits, and are designed so that it is not an issue.

/ GC2310 with a 5' rototiller if I remove the outer tines? #4  
I have a GC2400 and use a KK 5ft tiller, I can pull it in sod at only 1500 rpm on the tac. your tractor is the same as mine and there is no reason at all to remove any tines, I say I can run mine at 1500 rpm what I should say is I almost always run it at 1500 rpm and it is not hard on the tractor.