Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240

/ Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240 #1  

tripp1023

Tractor
NH TD5050
I have a neighbour that is going to purchase my Ford 600 tractor. He is in a bind since his BIL burned his MF240 trying to start it with gas instead of diesel fuel. He has offered the tractor as a down pmt. I assume it will be for scrap, but will give it a once over to see if I can revive it first.

All the wiring is gone as is one tire and the power steering hoses. Not sure what else though. He's torn it apart a bit and I haven't looked for the serial # yet.

I'm looking for an opinion on this tractor and what this tractor is like to operate when running-I.e. power, quirks, etc. Also, what is it like to get parts for? I'm usually a Ford/NH guy, but might try messing with this tractor.

Thanks.

Tripp

Last edited:
   / Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240 #2  
Parts availabiliy isn't bad. Did he run it with gas? That would have a bearing on what you might allow for it as a down payment on your tractor. If it was me, I'd take anyway, but allow only 400-600. Depending on what's wrong with it figure on at least 1500 in repairs (more if you don't do the repairs yourself).

Ken

/ Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240 #3  
Parts availabiliy isn't bad. Did he run it with gas? That would have a bearing on what you might allow for it as a down payment on your tractor. If it was me, I'd take anyway, but allow only 400-600. Depending on what's wrong with it figure on at least 1500 in repairs (more if you don't do the repairs yourself).

Ken
That sounds about right Ken. Total rebuild kit. Replace EVERY rubber seal and gasket. It would be a challenge and might be fun bringing it back to life and sell it back to him. Plus labor and cost. :)

/ Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240
Thanks all! That's the type of info I was looking for. Figured I'd have to tear it down, and thought I'd give him scrap value of around 3-400 dollars in case it was too far gone. I'm "financing" my tractor for him, so need a little insurance in case something goes bad.

From what I've been told, the BIL did try to start it with gas and up it went. It burned for awhile before they got it out, so it'll be a strip down/rebuild job. I like that stuff though, so no problem...

Any particular sites/dealers you'd reccomnend or avoid?

/ Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240 #5  
No, I don't really have any "stay away" recomendations. I've mainly dealt with locals on my MF stuff. Maybe The Kid has some better recomendations for who you need to contact online.

Ken

/ Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240 #6  
tripp1023 said:
Thanks all! That's the type of info I was looking for. Figured I'd have to tear it down, and thought I'd give him scrap value of around 3-400 dollars in case it was too far gone. I'm "financing" my tractor for him, so need a little insurance in case something goes bad.

From what I've been told, the BIL did try to start it with gas and up it went. It burned for awhile before they got it out, so it'll be a strip down/rebuild job. I like that stuff though, so no problem...

Any particular sites/dealers you'd reccomnend or avoid?

Tripp, buying a burned tractor is a crap shoot. You either buy it or not. Get it as cheap as you can. If all else failed you can salvage it out and possibly re-coop your investment. Now who to trust. Use as much genuine AGCO parts for the body and tranny as possible. The motor. Get a genuine Perkins rebuild kit. All of this would come thru an AGCO dealer. Most dealers has a service department. Take a bunch of pictures of all the major damage to the dealership and get an estimate as to how much they would charge just to get it running. You probably can cut the cost to get it running by at least 60% if you elect to do the work yourself. You also might get lucky and find a donor at a salvage yard for most of your sheet metal and such. Good luck. - robert

One last note. If you do buy it, get yourself the parts and service manuals from Agco right off the bat. A bit pricy, but worth every penny.

/ Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240 #7  
Do your sums carefully as the cost of the parts might outweigh what the repaired tractor is worth - heat from fire finds its way onto all sorts of places causing damage - whilst a good little "no frills" tractor, over here a MF240 isn't in high demand & it's reflected in low prices.

/ Opinion needed on fire damaged MF240
Thanks for all the input! I'm leaning toward not doing the deal, but will be visiting with the neighbor this weekend to discuss further.

My thoughts are just like y'alls, total rebuild on an average tractor (from a popularity standpoint).

Thanks again!!