MF 1085 Steering problem

/ MF 1085 Steering problem #1  

RCCB

Tractor
Ford 8000, MF 1085, IH T-340
I just bought a MF 1085 at and auction and drove it home today, it was about a 20 mile drive. I had one big problem, no power steering. I don't have a lot of experience with Masseys'. Do 1085's have a reservoir or get fluid from the hydraulic system or something else I need to look at?

/ MF 1085 Steering problem #2  
Congradulations on the tractor. I belive they use the hydraulics as the resevoir. There are other members on here with the Massey like yours that should chime in.

/ MF 1085 Steering problem
I figured how to take the loader off, now I have a better view of the engine compartment. Before I took the loader off, I raised the front wheels off of the ground. I was able to turn them easier with no pressure on them. But they still did not move as freely as they should. Any ideas on what I need to check to fix this problem?

/ MF 1085 Steering problem #4  
I have a MF 285 which is the same tractor as the 1085 just not the row crop version. There is an external pump, I think it is on the left side, of the motor, not 100% sure. I would check to see if it has Hydraulic fluid in it. If not add fluid, and if it has fluid then will probably need a steering pump. I would say if it has been driven much without proper fluid levels the pump is toast.

New Power Steering Pump for Massey 285 698 1085 1085 523089M91 1 Year Warranty | eBay

/ MF 1085 Steering problem #5  
G'day RCCB.
Do as you did and raise the front wheels of the ground One at a time will do and grease the king pin that is the grease nipple halfway up the axle,grease well and at the same time turn the steering wheel back and forth making sure there is plenty of grease in there,do both sides and also the front axle pivot pin underneath.

Next using a bucket remove the Power steering reservoir the round cylinder shaped TANK with the nut in the centre remove it and remove the power steering filter and change it wash everything out refit using a new filter and large O ring Fill the reservoir up to the BOTTOM OF THE THREADS ONLY Use the red stuff ATF Auto trans , Dexron 2, Powers steering fluid ,the same as would be used in a car, and start the engine on high idle about 900 rpm and turn the steering wheel back and forth to get rid of the air in the system keeping an eye on the oil level ,Dont Overfill, if everything is o,k, stop the engine with the wheels straight ahead and top up the level to the BOTTOM OF THE THREADS This allows for expansion when everything heats up.

The most common leak is in the transmitter valve in front of the radiator ,a repair kit will cost about 20/30 Dollars and is not to hard to replace.
Let me know how you go and we can go from there.
Happy Days.
Hutch.

Thanks for all of the great information. I was able to locate the power steering reservoir, and it was empty. I fill it up and there is a small leak in one of the lines. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. Thanks again!

/ MF 1085 Steering problem #7  
just reading through posts as i have same steering problems were abouts is oil resivior situated on tractor

Left side of the motor, near the back of the engine.

/ MF 1085 Steering problem #9  
I just bought a MF 1085 at and auction and drove it home today, it was about a 20 mile drive. I had one big problem, no power steering. I don't have a lot of experience with Masseys'. Do 1085's have a reservoir or get fluid from the hydraulic system or something else I need to look at?

i have MF 285 and it power steering pump use motor oil form the engine not hydraulic oil.