clutch and brake on the wrong sides

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides #1  

dougalis

Tractor
Massey ferguson 2410
I grew up with the clutch on the left side and the brake on the right. Why do they come out with them switched my Massey 2410 has the direction and speed control on the left and I noticed my friends John Deere mower the same? Is it me? I would like it the other way around or like my country clipper mower just a joy stick.

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides #2  
Is your steering wheel mounted on the right as well? :D Welcome to TBN.

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides #4  
Similar to my and many others question about the logic of Kubota putting the Hydro pedals on the same side as the two brake pedals. I mean, how do they expect you to use the individual brake to assist turning? I only have one foot on each side of my body. I just keep the two brake pedals linked all the time, no reason not to.

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides
If it was that would explain the backwardness of the set up. I grew up with north American tractors you can't find a little one made here any more.

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides #6  
Similar to my and many others question about the logic of Kubota putting the Hydro pedals on the same side as the two brake pedals. I mean, how do they expect you to use the individual brake to assist turning? I only have one foot on each side of my body. I just keep the two brake pedals linked all the time, no reason not to.

My manual addresses this by stating to use the cruise control and steering brakes, it works well on my L5740.

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides #7  
My manual addresses this by stating to use the cruise control and steering brakes, it works well on my L5740.

If you hit the brake the cruise control should turn off? If not, that is asking for a crash.

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides #8  
If you hit the brake the cruise control should turn off? If not, that is asking for a crash.

On mine the cruise control disengages if the brakes are locked together, but not when pushing on only one brake. The cruise control lever can be used just like the HST pedal and I often use it in that manner. I was recently working on a steep slope backing into some really thick brush and had to twist around in the seat to keep away from washouts and used the HST pedal to back in and cruise control to climb out; worked really well.

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides #9  
I also grew up with clutch on the left and brakes on right and I wondered how I would adjust to the brakes on the left and hydrostat pedals only on the right with my new Kioti. I can happily report I adjusted to it in just a few hours of operation and it seems perfectly normal now.

James K0UA

/ clutch and brake on the wrong sides #10  
I also grew up with clutch on the left and brakes on right and I wondered how I would adjust to the brakes on the left and hydrostat pedals only on the right with my new Kioti. I can happily report I adjusted to it in just a few hours of operation and it seems perfectly normal now.

James K0UA

I remember when motorcycles had brakes and gear shifts on different sides, it wasn't a problem if you only rode only one. I totaled my Honda and replaced it with an European bike. One block from the showroom floor, I blew through a stoplight when I down shifted instead of braked. I quickly got use to and loved it. In 1975 I think, it was mandated bikes had to be uniform.

For some switching back and forth isn't an issue, for some it is.

I have heard though can't verify Kubota will follow everyone else and make the change; glad I just bought a new one, physical issues preclude my use of left foot brakes.