massey ferguson 165

/ massey ferguson 165 #1  

steve42rich

Tractor
165 massey ferguson
does a tractor make any noise when the pilot bearing is bad or will it run and work ok the motor i installed brand new i just keep thinking i damaged it when instaling engine cant get it off my mind

/ massey ferguson 165 #2  
G'day steve.
It depends on the ammount of FORCE you applied when bringing the two halves together if everything is working it should be o.k..
The first thing to do before bringing the two halves together is to set the Front half level ,do this by tapping wooden wedges between the front axle beam and the housing ,this steadies everythingand will make it easier to work with,I find it easier to block the front half and bring the rear half forward and when you get near the guide studs mentioned you will have to possibly adjust the wedges to get everything lined up.

The way to asssemble without damaging anything is to First line up BOTH PLATES to do this you need a clutch aligning tool that has BOTH the pto and the transmission Diameters on it .
Use TWO or FOUR Equally spaced long guide studs screwed into the gearbox side they are 7/16 UNC thread x and should be ideally 4 " long when bringing the tractor halves together use the guide studs to help line everything up, constantly measuring the gap between the two halves and keeping them Parallel ,You should not have to FORCE anything, make sure the transmisssion lever is in neutral and the PTO LEVER is set at the ENGINE position ,get someone to put an adjustable spanner on the pto shaft and slowly push the two halves together and at the same time turn the pto shaft back and forward you will feel the pto engage,when engaged THE PTO WILL NOT TURN when fully engaged put the lever in neutral and select the transmission second gear high keep pressure on the two halves and at the same time using a large screwdriver slowly turn the engine ring gear using a big screwdriver and you will feel the gearbox engage again you should not have to force anything fit all bolts and the job is done
Dont forget to adjust the clutch clearance Before testing out.
Happy Days.
Hutch.

/ massey ferguson 165
Hey thanks shona13 lots of good advice i will save this very helpul.I was just worried about the bearing but i have it all put back together now just need to start it up it's fresh engine 1869 dollars for a complete rebuild.ok now iam haveing problems with the alternator it's been changed over from a generator i have the adjustable upper bracket just not the lower 1 were can i get that i see 1 on ebay that looks close to what i need for 14 dollars my motor is a AD4-203 diesel

/ massey ferguson 165 #4  
Hey thanks shona13 lots of good advice i will save this very helpul.I was just worried about the bearing but i have it all put back together now just need to start it up it's fresh engine 1869 dollars for a complete rebuild.ok now iam haveing problems with the alternator it's been changed over from a generator i have the adjustable upper bracket just not the lower 1 were can i get that i see 1 on ebay that looks close to what i need for 14 dollars my motor is a AD4-203 diesel

I took a hammer and a vice and reshaped my generator upper bracket to work. I did buy an alternator bracket off ebay, but later saw I could have used some spacers on my generator bracket and would have worked (one the bolts to block). If the one on eBay doesn't line up. You can always redrill new holes to line it up correctly.

/ massey ferguson 165
Hey thanks kid iam going to order the one on ebay because i dont even have old generator bracket thanks for the help

/ massey ferguson 165 #6  
steve42rich said:
Hey thanks kid iam going to order the one on ebay because i dont even have old generator bracket thanks for the help

One thing I failed to mention with my conversion using that ebay bracket. when mounting the alternator it is ever so slight out on perfect alignment with the other pulleys. I don't think it's enough to worry about though. I hammered the upper bracket flat and made a small notch to clear the governor rod. See my refurbish thread. I believe I took a picture of the notched bracket. I also took a mounted the alternator in the middle of the upper slide bracket. I then took a piece of rope to measure the size I needed when I went to Autozone to get a belt. By positioning in the middle of the bracket gave me a bit of leeway with the length. If the belt wears out prematurely i will drill new holes to move the alternator a 1/16 to 1/8" forward. But I doubt I will need to.