Do I need to use Permatran?

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #1  

JK10MF1635

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1635
I am wondering if I can use another brand to top off my 1635 hydralics? I would like to top it off but don't have any Permatran on hand and the closest dealer is over an hour away. The local new holland dealer is 5 mins away and says I can use any brand in the tractor and mixing is fine as well. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #2  
I would use the Permatran Oil as using other oil could void warranty is something was to go wrong. My dad went to our Massey dealer 30-40minutes away and bought 2, 5 gallon pails of the oil so we always have it on hand. If you have any dealers close that sell tractors that are part of the Agco family they should have the oil.

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #3  
I wouldn't mix different oils......
Massey's appear to be touchy.

EDIT: A few on here have switched to synthetic and have had success. 99% of the post I've seen here on TBN, have had failures from using 'dino-oil' other than permatran, and have had failures............with that track record I will stick with Permatran, or synthetic.

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #4  
I wouldn't mix different oils......
Massey's appear to be touchy.

EDIT: A few on here have switched to synthetic and have had success. 99% of the post I've seen here on TBN, have had failures from using 'dino-oil' other than permatran, and have had failures............with that track record I will stick with Permatran, or synthetic.

Here is my take.

This experience is strictly with the GC series.

It's not these MF products that are touchy. It's the fact that some generic fluids are of poor quality.

About half of those who tried any of the various universal generic trans fluids have reported some sort of issue with it, usually minor.

People who use a quality brand name product, such as the Kubota or Case fluid, have not reported any problems.

About half of us are using Amsoil synthetic, no one has reported any issue with it.

The other half are mostly using Permatran.

You probably will be fine if you use a premium New Holland fluid, but I have not heard of anyone using it.

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #5  
I would use the Permatran Oil as using other oil could void warranty is something was to go wrong. My dad went to our Massey dealer 30-40minutes away and bought 2, 5 gallon pails of the oil so we always have it on hand. If you have any dealers close that sell tractors that are part of the Agco family they should have the oil.

They cannot void warranty. If there is a repair, and you did not use permatran, they will charge you for the oil when they refill it...BTDT!

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #6  
They cannot void warranty. If there is a repair, and you did not use permatran, they will charge you for the oil when they refill it...BTDT!

Yep, if the product you use, meets the spec's in the manual, it's a binding legal contract.

By Federal law, warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.

The kind of failures that are going to happen during the warranty period are usually going to be failures of hard parts, due to manufacturing defects. They don't tend to need a debate to determine the cause.

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #7  
I just went through the same senario with my 50 hour fluid change and elected to drive the 1.5 hours to the nearest Massey dealer for the Permatran, there were enough stories of problems posted on TBN that scared me into using permatran only. The way I look at it is that it is cheap insurance...if you used cheaper fluid and did have a problem, now your gonna have to drive an hour pulling a tractor and coming home with an empty trailer.

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #8  
We had the left brake arm seal spring a leak with 10 hours on Petro Canada Duratran synthetic. Not sure if it was bad luck? Now I am leary of running anything but Permatran. Duratran is a top notch product too, huge in logging.

Yep, if the product you use, meets the spec's in the manual, it's a binding legal contract.

By Federal law, warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.

The kind of failures that are going to happen during the warranty period are usually going to be failures of hard parts, due to manufacturing defects. They don't tend to need a debate to determine the cause.

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #9  
I use the NAPA hydraulic oil that is labeled for Permatran III

/ Do I need to use Permatran? #10  
We had the left brake arm seal spring a leak with 10 hours on Petro Canada Duratran synthetic. Not sure if it was bad luck? Now I am leary of running anything but Permatran. Duratran is a top notch product too, huge in logging.

Seals leak with permatran too.

I would not bet it was the fluid.

Permatran is really good stuff. I switched my fairway mower to it, and there is a noticeable difference in the temperature it runs at.