MF 1240 Only 1st gear works

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works
I've been following this thread because I have an MF 1250. I have some fluid leaking and I may need to replace the clutch. Could you give us and update on how you are making out?

Clem

Got the tractor back up and running. I ended up replacing all the transmission side seals and the rear main seal. Important to note the replacement rear main seal is slightly wider than the original and does not seat 100% there is about 1/16" remaining. We ended up having to break the tractor in half a 2nd time because the 1st attempt at seating the new rear main failed. I should note that the rear main after the 2nd replacement leaked a few drops for the first half hour of run time. After which it finally got a good seal and havent had any more leaks. We ended up reusing the original pilot bushing as it fit better than the new bearing.

I ended up buying most my parts from jackssmallengines. I needed a few seals in a hurry and my local dealer was able to get them next day for a premium. All total I ended up spending about $600 doing the repair (parts and fluids). Expect to spend 4 to 5 hours splitting the tractor and then another 4 to 5 putting it back together. Also make sure and readjust all your shift linkages after putting it back together.

Go ahead and do all your engine oil and hydraulic oil changes while you are working on it.

If you need a list of part numbers for everything let me know and I'll post everything I purchased. I highly suggest buying every seal and oring before your begin. You might as well replace them all while you have it open even if they aren't leaking yet. The transmission side was about $40. The rear main is around $45. The clutch kit was around $330. The release bearing was around $40 as well.

Also no one sells a alignment tool for our clutch. You will need either a universal tool or make your own. I can't remember where my buddy found the universal one but it was like $45 from one of the car part shops.

BTW Napa has the filters for the tractor instock. I ended up paying $16 plus tax for hydraulic / oil / fuel filters. I don't know how it was so cheap as the price on website was around $30 total.

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #12  
Oops. Duplicate post

Last edited:
   / MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #13  
Wow. Good job. Sounds like a lot of work.

I adjusted my clutch free play the other day and I have it at the maximum and still have some clutch slippage. I don't have a buddy to help change the clutch nor make any of the proper adjustments. You are fortunate to have one.

I also need new turf tires, mine are bald.

Maybe I need to upgrade my tractor. :)

Clem

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #14  
Got the tractor back up and running. I ended up replacing all the transmission side seals and the rear main seal. Important to note the replacement rear main seal is slightly wider than the original and does not seat 100% there is about 1/16" remaining. We ended up having to break the tractor in half a 2nd time because the 1st attempt at seating the new rear main failed. I should note that the rear main after the 2nd replacement leaked a few drops for the first half hour of run time. After which it finally got a good seal and havent had any more leaks. We ended up reusing the original pilot bushing as it fit better than the new bearing.

I ended up buying most my parts from jackssmallengines. I needed a few seals in a hurry and my local dealer was able to get them next day for a premium. All total I ended up spending about $600 doing the repair (parts and fluids). Expect to spend 4 to 5 hours splitting the tractor and then another 4 to 5 putting it back together. Also make sure and readjust all your shift linkages after putting it back together.

Go ahead and do all your engine oil and hydraulic oil changes while you are working on it.

If you need a list of part numbers for everything let me know and I'll post everything I purchased. I highly suggest buying every seal and oring before your begin. You might as well replace them all while you have it open even if they aren't leaking yet. The transmission side was about $40. The rear main is around $45. The clutch kit was around $330. The release bearing was around $40 as well.

Also no one sells a alignment tool for our clutch. You will need either a universal tool or make your own. I can't remember where my buddy found the universal one but it was like $45 from one of the car part shops.

BTW Napa has the filters for the tractor instock. I ended up paying $16 plus tax for hydraulic / oil / fuel filters. I don't know how it was so cheap as the price on website was around $30 total.

I would appreciate your list of parts. I have an MF 1250 but I will closely check to see if there are any differences between the two models. Do you also have the NAPA part numbers for the filters?

Thanks,

Clem

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #15  
I would appreciate your list of parts. I have an MF 1250 but I will closely check to see if there are any differences between the two models. Do you also have the NAPA part numbers for the filters?

Thanks,

Clem

I have a 1240 and need to replace the clutch. Can you provide the list of part numbers? thanks

leo