MF 1240 Only 1st gear works

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #1  

gezster

Tractor
MF 1240
A helper was running my tractor today and apparently the clutch started slipping and now only 1st gear seems to work. Put it into 2nd or higher and it does nothing but can smell something burning. No unusual sounds etc. I figure he's burned up the clutch and now it just keeps slipping in any higher gear but wanted another opinion. Any idea of cost to put in a new clutch?

Thanks
George

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #2  
Sounds like you need a new clutch for sure. You should be able to get an aftermarket reman clutch kit for that machine for around $500-$600. If a shop is going to do it figure better than double that with labor and new fluid for the transmission. May diifer slightly if it has a backhoe and or loader. Make sure the flywheel is refaced too.

Also spend the time to train the helper about the clutch before he runs it again.

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works
Sounds like you need a new clutch for sure. You should be able to get an aftermarket reman clutch kit for that machine for around $500-$600. If a shop is going to do it figure better than double that with labor and new fluid for the transmission. May diifer slightly if it has a backhoe and or loader. Make sure the flywheel is refaced too.

Also spend the time to train the helper about the clutch before he runs it again.

Ok I'm trying to figure out what all parts I will need to buy. I've got a friend that is going to help me replace the clutch. I've never worked on the tractor other than fluid changes etc.. but I have been inside several motorcycle engines. I went to agcopartsbook and found the part number for the clutch disc - 3703735M92 Item number 1. clutch.png

I looked up this part number and found cross referenced kits with part number M3703705NU that comes with a new pressure plate, disc, and hub for around $350. Is that all that I need to buy? Any other bushings / gaskets / seals etc I should replace while I have it split? Also I found a new clutch disc for under $100. Would it be foolish to just replace the disc?

Also since I got the tractor (2nd owner) I noticed that there is a small leak coming from under the tractor. I'm not sure what the tube is (probably a drive shaft - about 2" diameter). It exits the bottom of the transmission case. Both ends appear to leak a few small drops each while parked. I can't tell if the fluid is dirty hydraulic oil or dirty motor oil. There isn't enough to really tell. I figure I should fix this while I'm working on it. What exactly is this tube so I can find the right o-rings / seals needed to fix the leak.

Thanks

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #4  
Ok I'm trying to figure out what all parts I will need to buy. I've got a friend that is going to help me replace the clutch. I've never worked on the tractor other than fluid changes etc.. but I have been inside several motorcycle engines. I went to agcopartsbook and found the part number for the clutch disc - 3703735M92 Item number 1. View attachment 289608

I looked up this part number and found cross referenced kits with part number M3703705NU that comes with a new pressure plate, disc, and hub for around $350. Is that all that I need to buy? Any other bushings / gaskets / seals etc I should replace while I have it split? Also I found a new clutch disc for under $100. Would it be foolish to just replace the disc?

Also since I got the tractor (2nd owner) I noticed that there is a small leak coming from under the tractor. I'm not sure what the tube is (probably a drive shaft - about 2" diameter). It exits the bottom of the transmission case. Both ends appear to leak a few small drops each while parked. I can't tell if the fluid is dirty hydraulic oil or dirty motor oil. There isn't enough to really tell. I figure I should fix this while I'm working on it. What exactly is this tube so I can find the right o-rings / seals needed to fix the leak.

Thanks
The pressure plate if servicable will need resurfacing. You need to pressure wash the tractor to find your leak which will give clues as to it's origin. Your leak is either engine oil (rear main seal) or hydraulic oil that could leak from several points on the tranny. If it's a few drops, I wouldn't bother with it. Your going to have to dump your hydro oil reguardless if your doing it yourself.

If your going to attempt this yourself, it's best to have a factory service manual to properly install and adjust it. You will need a clutch alignment tool as well. If you've never split a tractor before to replace a clutch, my suggestion is to think twice before doing it yourself. It's a big job.

The pressure plate if servicable will need resurfacing. You need to pressure wash the tractor to find your leak which will give clues as to it's origin. Your leak is either engine oil (rear main seal) or hydraulic oil that could leak from several points on the tranny. If it's a few drops, I wouldn't bother with it. Your going to have to dump your hydro oil reguardless if your doing it yourself.

If your going to attempt this yourself, it's best to have a factory service manual to properly install and adjust it. You will need a clutch alignment tool as well. If you've never split a tractor before to replace a clutch, my suggestion is to think twice before doing it yourself. It's a big job.

Luckily I don't have to do it by myself and my buddy has done a few in the past. I can't seem to find the correct alignment tool sold anywhere though. I already ordered the service manual. Anyone know where to find the tool? The kits I've found do not mention including it.

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #6  
Very foolish to just replace the disc. Get a new release bearing & pilot bearing. Should do the rear main while you're in there. Check the adapter plate bolts behind the flywheel to be sure they're good & tight.

/ MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #7  
Luckily I don't have to do it by myself and my buddy has done a few in the past. I can't seem to find the correct alignment tool sold anywhere though. I already ordered the service manual. Anyone know where to find the tool? The kits I've found do not mention including it.
Alignment tools are usually sold thru an AGCO dealer they are usually made of plastic and will keep you from damaging your new parts.. The service manual is a must. MFRED's advise is solid

Very foolish to just replace the disc. Get a new release bearing & pilot bearing. Should do the rear main while you're in there. Check the adapter plate bolts behind the flywheel to be sure they're good & tight.

Thanks that is what I needed to hear. The service manual should arrive next week. I will go ahead and order the parts. Will call my local dealer and see if they can get me the tool.

I found the oil leak. Motor oil leaking from the drain plug onto the 4wd drive shaft. Turns out the plug was loose (The oil was just changed 50 hours ago by the dealer prior to my purchasing it). Snugged it up and let it idle for a bit and no more leak. Once I got under the tractor I could finally tell what was going on.

We finally got around to splitting the tractor. The clutch pads were all worn down. The housing was full of hydraulic fluid. Looks like a seal on the input shaft has leaked. I bought the rear main seal as suggested but didn't think about the transmission side. From the parts diagram it looks like there are 3 different seals and an o-ring. I guess I should order all of them and replace them all since I'm in it this deep already.

Attached is the parts diagram of the input shaft. #4, #5, and #9 are all listed as seals. In the earlier post the clutch diagram #19 is the o-ring. Anything else I should take care of while I'm in it.

Also the input shaft at the pilot bearing is worn down making the replacement bearing loose. The original "pilot bearing" was actually just a bushing. My buddy said just leave it as is but figured I'd ask you guys your opinion. A replacement input shaft is almost $300.

Edit to add side cut away diagram. In this diagram #3 is the #4 seal in the parts diagram.#5 and #9 are the same. I presume I need to replace all 3 of these seals. Hopefully someone can confirm.
trancus.png

Thanks

Attachments

• trans.png
    trans.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
   / MF 1240 Only 1st gear works #10  
I've been following this thread because I have an MF 1250. I have some fluid leaking and I may need to replace the clutch. Could you give us and update on how you are making out?

Clem